First aid kits - what should they include

nelle

May 27, 2005
South East
I need to start thinking about buying some horsey bits, as all going well with the vetting I will be a first time horse owner next week:) He comes with tack, rugs, boots, head collar etc etc but I'll need to buy buckets, grooming brushes and some first aid stuff.

So should I buy a complete first aid kit or it is better to put one together myself, if so what should it include? Some recommendations on creams, lotions, potions and anything else would be great.

Cheers:)

We've bought one from our vet - they make them up for you. Its got several wound dressings in it, intersite gel for wounds, a saline spray, cotton wool, lots of those coloured stretchy bandages, a thermometer, animalintex stuff - probably some more that I can't remember!

Edited to add: just remembered, it has some antiseptic scrub in it also

I once suggested flashlight and spare batteries to someone on NR cos when it became dark and injuries could not be seen. I think a complete first aid kit would be nice, as it usually comes with all those instructorn leaflets and all that. You can add on things to the box. I don't think kits are something you should try to save on!

funnily enough i just bought a book on this today :D

i'll just pick out the words in bold and scribble them down here for you..

- a good antiseptic
- baby wipes
- wound ointment and powder
- cotton wool
- gamgee
- scissors
- cotton stretch bandage
- crepe bandage
- elastic conforming bandage
- adhesive bandages
- sticky tape
- non-stick dressing pads
- a poultice
- cold bandages

Oh so there is LMS, I should have done that first - thanks.

I've just done a google search and found the horseactive website, there is a kit on there for £35 which has various different bandages and wound pads, scissors, gloves, saline solution etc etc. I may get that and then pad it out with hibiscrub, vasaline and various others things that others have recommended on those links.

newrider.com