First Aid

crazyhorse97

nervous nellie...
How many people on your yard have first aid training out of curiosity?

We had an incident at our yard today and myself and a friend realised we had little - to no idea what to do and have now decided to do a first aid course.

Has anyone done one? what would you recommend? this could end up being a whole yard activity (a good idea imo) so who would you guys suggest?

ta

xXx

How many people on your yard have first aid training out of curiosity?

We had an incident at our yard today and myself and a friend realised we had little - to no idea what to do and have now decided to do a first aid course.

Has anyone done one? what would you recommend? this could end up being a whole yard activity (a good idea imo) so who would you guys suggest?

ta

xXx

You can do the Equine Specific First Aid course through the BHS if you search on their website.

I am a qualified first aider but I think I'm only one of two on my yard from what ym said:rolleyes: I think it is important.

There was an article in your horse recently about this...that issue is in my flat atm but it was basically a woman who had designed a specific horsey first aid course for people. :) I'll try and remember to post the link to her site if anyone is interested. In my opinion it sounds like it would be pretty much the same topics covered but with a horsey theme; and a higher price tag. I would say you would probably be ok with a normal one/

Oops keep posting too soon:eek:!! The St John ambulance do one and you can also get one with the Red Cross (which I have done both of mine with!) Its about £60 a person (or was when I did it a few years ago) and lasts 3 years. This is the link to their site: http://www.redcross.org.uk/TLC.asp?id=76599 . Looks like they offer quite a few options so you could have a browse and see what you thought was best for you.

Last edited:
well, we have one first aider of types - she trained a few years ago for children when working in a school, however i know very little (ie brownies and GCSE PE) and just think we were lucky the only person i am aware of having any training at all was there...

I am going to try and encourage more people to train as today brought home just how important it is...

xXx

I work in A & E as a staff nurse and we have had quite a few fractures etc from horse related incidents.

Think it is definately important to know the basics such as immobilisation of fractures, what to if someone has pain in their neck after a fall and how to deal with cuts etc.

It can also be applied to other areas.

There are various course, and also one by the British Heart Foundation which teaches Basic Life Support and the use of Defibs if I remember correctly. It has come in handy a few times when a person who has collapsed has been treated and assisted by a member of the public.

Yeah I suppose thats ok but you tend to get a bit rusty, especially when you don't use the skills :rolleyes: I would recommend phoning your local Red Cross and asking them what they would recommend :) If enough of you are interested you could maybe try and get one that would contain more horsey accident related things ;) No harm in asking anyway :D

I work in A & E as a staff nurse and we have had quite a few fractures etc from horse related incidents.

Think it is definately important to know the basics such as immobilisation of fractures, what to if someone has pain in their neck after a fall and how to deal with cuts etc.

It can also be applied to other areas.

There are various course, and also one by the British Heart Foundation which teaches Basic Life Support and the use of Defibs if I remember correctly. It has come in handy a few times when a person who has collapsed has been treated and assisted by a member of the public.

I agree :) but don't know how many yards have defibs on them :p

I did my first aid course a few weeks back through my work. I personally think that all RI should be first aid certified.
At my RS a few months ago a girl came off her pony and fell really badly, the RI hadn't a clue what to do. They ended up moving her despite me trying to stop them (I wasn't even trained then it just seemed like common sense not to move her). She said she had a pain in her neck, turned out she had broken her shoulder. The way she fell it could have been much worse.

We have an undertaker :eek:

I ride out alone, rarely ever at the yard when anyone else is there. That is the way I like it.
A couple of people do have 1st aid qualifications, only useful if they happen to be there at the right time though.

newrider.com