First attempt at rug repair: Or, I wish I had a thimble

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Sid The Destroyer only wore his brand-new fly rug from Decathlon twice before ripping it. Really ripping it: a long gash where two of the belly straps had pulled away. No doubt he was scratching on something.

I decided to have a go at fixing it with what I had, viz. an old sewing machine which only does straight stitch these days, some fabric strips left from a quilting project (abandoned because I am hopeless at sewing) and some enbroidery stuff.

Here is my attempt:

IMG_2890.JPG

The hardest bit was at the top, where the start of the rip was. It was right next to the buckle strap - not a chance that my machine could sew it. So out with my super-sharp Japanese sashiko needles and strong thread. And cross stitch!

IMG_2891.JPG

My fingers hurt and I expect it will last all of 5 minutes once Sid The Destroyer gets it on. But for that 5 minutes, his field mates will marvel at his fashion sense.

Reactions: Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Very snazzy šŸ˜‹ Iā€™ve had to do Nikoā€™s this week, a crappy running stitch all done by hand but it does the job šŸ¤­

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Sid The Destroyer only wore his brand-new fly rug from Decathlon twice before ripping it. Really ripping it: a long gash where two of the belly straps had pulled away. No doubt he was scratching on something.

I decided to have a go at fixing it with what I had, viz. an old sewing machine which only does straight stitch these days, some fabric strips left from a quilting project (abandoned because I am hopeless at sewing) and some enbroidery stuff.

Here is my attempt:

View attachment 106692

The hardest bit was at the top, where the start of the rip was. It was right next to the buckle strap - not a chance that my machine could sew it. So out with my super-sharp Japanese sashiko needles and strong thread. And cross stitch!

View attachment 106693

My fingers hurt and I expect it will last all of 5 minutes once Sid The Destroyer gets it on. But for that 5 minutes, his field mates will marvel at his fashion sense.
you should see some of my repairs. It's really hard getting the needles through the fabric particularly on straps. Murphy destroyed a fly rug in under three weeks...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
OwnedbyChanter second attempt at affiliated dressage this morning Competing 3
jodiana 1st hacking solo attempt Confidence Club 12
juliecwuk Last weekends Dressage attempt! Competing 12
OwnedbyChanter first attempt at novice today Competing 13
mystiquemalaika Feeling handy and going to attempt this with dad :-) Cafe 9
Dark Storm My first attempt at using proper clippers (but not Shadow's) Horse Care 10
Ale Going to attempt to load him this week... *PICS** Transport and Travelling 26
notpoodle Our second attempt at stressage Adults who ride Ponies 12
Bodshi Pic of our dressage attempt Cafe 33
eml Sidesaddle record attempt Cafe 15
vels mum My first attempt at clipping and a little update Cafe 7
liz_scarlet Rubbish attempt at schooling tonight Training of the Horse and Rider 22
juliecwuk Our first attempt at Prelim...hmmmmm! Competing 10
No_Angel In an attempt to occupy my horses Cafe 5
Dark Storm First attempt at downloading video :) Cafe 1
Ratface I Can Do Sitting Trot after second attempt!! Older Riders 16
tiga First attempt at Trec - unscheduled dismount! Other Disciplines 3
minkersmum do not attempt a forward roll in body protector! Cafe 12
lovejakeyx We attempt cross country.. pics & vid Cafe 7
Kc.. Me & Lantern have another attempt at showjumping... (lot's of photos) Cafe 23
MaisieMoo Our failed attempt at ODE *pics* Cafe 15
Lacetti Lexi's 2nd attempt at Stressage!! Competing 4
Kc.. My lame attempt at image manip! General 4
calvo My first attempt at Dressage! (good report too!) Competing 5
T When to make your first attempt? Competing 9
R Bad attempt at a ride :( General 6
*-crazy-chaz-* my attempt at some of "the 7 games".. Training of the Horse and Rider 9
perkypinky think there maybe a piccy on this post (first attempt!) General 11
M My first ever attempt at clipping result!!!! Horse Care 21
F Jargon help... 2nd attempt! Older Riders 13
C Our Attempt at Prelim 12 this weekend - video for gentle critique lol Competing 12
Mistertron Mistertron meets Est (incorporating my first attempt at a tail bandage!) General 7
C Loki's First Attempt at Showjumping General 25
G Catching on 2nd attempt - whats he trying to prove? General 10
chickflick1066 Stumpy's loan advert - first attempt General 21
ClaireBear_nz My first attempt at long-lining General 12
elise Axel's first attempt at ground driving General 10
Sarah-B TC modelling my first attempt at a rope halter!!... General 3
G Going to attempt a proper canter First Timers 3
S Our First Attempt At a Dressage Competition Training of the Horse and Rider 22
Jessey My longlining attempt - so funny Training of the Horse and Rider 1
A My 1st attempt at jumping! First Timers 5
Esther.D Polo's attempt to scare us & opinions on bruised sole photos please? Horse Care 20
Miss MoneyPenny 1st attempt at practising my dressage test,..we've had better days! First Timers 28
Cassandra Loading - bad attempt - VERY upset Training of the Horse and Rider 16
Jessey (Baby horse proof) Rug hanging Cafe 19
Doodle92 Another rug question Cafe 2
Frances144 Rug for Geriatric update Cafe 3
Frances144 Rug Help Please - for older horse who got trapped. Cafe 30
Jessey Best rug for narrow chest? Horse Care 31