First day being a horse mummy and I feel awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend brought a horse which down the line decked him several times then went lame, he knew there was investigation for lameness with a prior owner done at our vets, the vet couldn't share the record without written permission from the prior owner, the prior owner wouldn't give the permission to the vets even though she had told my friend verbally she would. They tried all sorts to no avail, no loop holes found. It's effectively doctor patient confidentiality/medical records so the laws around it are very tight, a court could unseal them but you would have to have evidence up front to justify them doing so which would be tough to prove without bloods pulled prior to purchase showing something.
And even bloods being pulled isn't failsafe. A similar thing happened on our yard recently (a horse came for schooling because of his 'bad behaviour' which turned out to be due to hock & stifle pain). The vet said he had probably had his joints medicated prior to being sold to his current owners and that a blood test won't pick that up after however many weeks, can't remember exactly, but the point is you have a lame horse, get it injected, wait a couple of weeks and sell it for megabucks while it still appears sound then deny all knowledge when it starts to go lame for the new owners. Some people are absolute shits.

Reactions: Jessey
I might get shot down in flames for saying this but I think you need to seek proffesional advice but if they say no you cant get details, I personally would rather put my money into retraining the horse, especially if you have ridden it and think it is the one for you.
As the old owner is refusing contact with you. I certainly wouldn't be wanting them to take back the horse. Chances are they might just palm it off onto someone else if there have been issues.
It's good of one of the other ex owners to take on the horse but if they previously sold it then really it's for you to sort your issues. I appreciate that you are unable to do the horse currently due to injury but unless you know these ex owners well, dont rely on them.

Perhaps one option is to rough off for the winter, allow yourself and the horse breathing space and start again in the Spring. Get the vet to check over before that.

You might now have as I said in a previous post, too many hands- people trying to fix something that are overwhelming you and the pony.

It could be the saddle pinched at that moment, just because she came with her tack doesn't mean that's the saddle you actually rode in when you tried her.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
Are you a BHS Gold member? If so they have a legal help line where you can get 30 mins of advice for free (I think the number is on the back of the membership card)

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Perhaps one option is to rough off for the winter, allow yourself and the horse breathing space and start again in the Spring. Get the vet to check over before that.

You might now have as I said in a previous post, too many hands- people trying to fix something that are overwhelming you and the pony.

It could be the saddle pinched at that moment, just because she came with her tack doesn't mean that's the saddle you actually rode in when you tried her.
For what it's worth, I'd be tempted to try this.

It just gets worse! I am really sorry that you are in this situation.

To me, the old owners definitely have something to hide by not letting you access to vet records. I assumed that your insurance company would insist on them. They are always trying to swindle people out of money by adding exclusions to the policy and if you don't know the previous vet history, how can they add their exclusions?

I would get some legal advice, but it will be hard to argue that the pony is not fit for purpose because you tried her so extensively beforehand. The only way to 'prove' they knowingly sold you a lame/unwell horse is to access the vet records but you can't do this.

If the seller is local, do you have any mutual friends who could shed some light on the situation? Where was the pony kept? If on livery, could you speak to the livery owner or other liveries to try and find out. Was the pony used in pony club? Or any affiliated shows? Could you contact these places/people? Have you looked up the competition record to see if the pony really was out competing?

Others have talked about retraining this horse, but in light of the vet records being refused I don't think that the issue is behavioural. It will be very interesting what the vet says.

Finally, here is a virtual box of chocs and bottle of wine. I think you need it.

Reactions: Huggy
Some folk send any old saddle they have lying around when they say the horse comes "with tack". It has been known.

Whatever happens. good luck xx

I bought a horse who decked me and ended up being a companion unrideable horse because I couldn't bear to send her back. She was useful. Just in a different way. She looked after younger horses for me.

Reactions: Huggy
I see both sides to having an instructor, but I myself didn't have any kind of instruction for over 3 months after getting my horse. In the first few months all I wanted to do was walk round on him with very short bursts of trot to get my confidence. If I had lessons, I would probably had been jumping him in the second week which would have been way beyond what I wanted to do. Instruction has both pros and cons.
Sorry to derail here but this exactly is what my daughter is having, she is very very nervous. She's only gone to probably 20 lessons in her life, the rest of the time has been her having fun at her own pace with the pony. She probably could have been pushed on with a good instructor as her pony is a good sort (now she has been schooled) but one knock back would have her right back to the start. She does a LOT of ground work/leading and in hand things with the pony and I have to say this has increased her confidence in the mare considerably. But a lot of children her age (10) are more interested in getting on and jumping / games or bombing about. Mine isn't she enjoys her ponies company.

I think this has come from myself being an influence, I had mine and I rode for the majority of the early time I had him but he was a patent safety sort - for me. However after I had her, time out of the saddle and a love of donuts saw me out of riding and into driving :oops:, through no longer riding my horse I got to know him on another level and whilst a lot of the older school sort (my OH included) scoffed at the ground work or in hand hacks but it increased my horses confidence in me by the truck load. There are a lot of inhand resources out there now and I highly recommend it.

Is there anyone that knows the pony when she was with the woman. If so they could shed light about the pony’s Heath. There is definitely something fishy going on about that pony’s Heath when they not letting see the records. Any genuine seller would let you see them since they have nothing to hide. The same exact thing happened to my friend the horse was crazy she ended up trying to sell. My friend failed trying to sell it even with retraining she ended up having to retire it as a result.

Sorry to derail here but this exactly is what my daughter is having, she is very very nervous. She's only gone to probably 20 lessons in her life, the rest of the time has been her having fun at her own pace with the pony. She probably could have been pushed on with a good instructor as her pony is a good sort (now she has been schooled) but one knock back would have her right back to the start. She does a LOT of ground work/leading and in hand things with the pony and I have to say this has increased her confidence in the mare considerably. But a lot of children her age (10) are more interested in getting on and jumping / games or bombing about. Mine isn't she enjoys her ponies company.

I think this has come from myself being an influence, I had mine and I rode for the majority of the early time I had him but he was a patent safety sort - for me. However after I had her, time out of the saddle and a love of donuts saw me out of riding and into driving :oops:, through no longer riding my horse I got to know him on another level and whilst a lot of the older school sort (my OH included) scoffed at the ground work or in hand hacks but it increased my horses confidence in me by the truck load. There are a lot of inhand resources out there now and I highly recommend it.
In hand hacks are vastly under rated - I think it gives you a good idea of the quirks of a new horse. I wish I'd had the experience to think of it when I got Ramsey, we had some "interesting" rides in the early days. By the time I got on Hogan I had a fair impression of what made him tick.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
The horse took a fright at getting zapped with electric, well yeah that happens, the horse bucked a few times in the school, that happens too, it’s really unfortunate that the OP broke her back but those two things do not make a crazy, un rideable horse who’s been miss sold. The OP had even said she was settling down before the lesson, hence she booked the lesson.There is a lot more to this than we can know I think, but I can’t help thinking that the fault does not lie purely with the previous owner.
I’m sorry for the OP of course I am but it’s the pony stuck in the middle I really feel for here.

I’m sorry for the OP of course I am but it’s the pony stuck in the middle I really feel for here.
This is what I feel. Which is why I feel that whilst you can see if you can get access to records to know what has happened. You have to do what's right for the horse now. Sometimes better to draw a line on past, and look at what you have in front of you here and now.

This is what I feel. Which is why I feel that whilst you can see if you can get access to records to know what has happened. You have to do what's right for the horse now. Sometimes better to draw a line on past, and look at what you have in front of you here and now.
I completely agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com