First day riding new horse - not the best start!

RRA

Jan 30, 2008
Berkshire
This will teach me for saying in a post earlier its worth waiting for the right one!!

My gorgeous horse arrived on Saturday she's had a few days to settle in and make friends with her field mates so took her in the school last night which is just a sectioned part of the field just to see how she was and how others in field would react, didn't want them charging around the place whilst I'm trying to establish this new relationship! So tonight was my first time riding her since our trial 2 weeks ago - she is young and green but nice natured and although I knew she hadn't done alot when I rode her then I had a really good feeling about her and was excited at the prospect of what lay ahead!...sorry getting to point now........

So in the school all tacked up and ready to go with positive thoughts of just getting her to walk perhaps even trot nicely for me, but NO...a complete refusal to move forward at all! A rear (not the scary type) and a bit of kicking but definite complete refusal to budge - eventually with OH help we got moving but very slowly I wasn't going to risk using anything other than voice, seat & legs as thought best not to start first lesson on the floor! However I am glad despite her protest I didn't feel intimidated just determined to get some kind of result before the lesson ended which although not exactly forward about it she did keep moving.....well most of the time! :confused:

Is anyone else here just starting out with a green horse? would be good to know how you get on and how you get through each stage - I am going to try lunging her next time before getting on, I want her to learn that is her 'work' area and I am well aware that everything is still very new to her and its very early days for us both but don't want her to try it on each time either.

Hints and tips from you more experienced ones always welcome. She's a lovely girl and I know there's potential in there I just need to unlock it slowly yet surely and above all safely!!!:p

It's interesting that often people expect green horses to be hyper sensitive and rush forward whereas they will often "root" instead. More often than not this is through sheer confusion - erm, what is it I'm supposed to be doing again? That sort of thing. The thing to focus on is getting a step - even if it's a sideways step - just getting movement. I've found just opening out a rein and encouraging with my leg can be enough, but failing that, having a soft lead rope accross the wither and just flip flopping it from one side to the other can encourage them forward. Hope this helps!

I am no expert but would totally agree with Showqa.

The other thing with a young and green horse is that they need to be ridden/worked regularly for short periods, even if that period is 10 minutes initially, just try to keep it all positive and fun. She only arrived on Saturday so it really is all very new. Concentrate initially more on your groundwork with her, maybe 20 minutes groundwork, 10 minutes actually on her, just chill and relax with her in the field, let her get to know you.

Obviously being a new horse you wanted to give her time to settle and rightly so, but it may just be that she has had a little 'break' and feels a bit 'uncertain' as to what you want.

Don't think of it as her being 'naughty' or 'trying it on' just reassure her as soon as you get any movement, its all so new for her with a new person. The great thing about having a youngster is that it teaches you to 'think outside of the box' and see things from their perspective.

Keep the sessions short and sweet, all positive reinforcement, don't have too high an expectation to begin with, thats one of the places I went wrong, expecting too much and then you are in for disappointment and frustration, learn to take any achievement, no matter how small, as a positive, it takes different horses differing periods to settle into a new home. Try not to get too worried or frustrated by it all you have plenty of time and taking the extra time to settle her and 'get to know each other now' will pay dividends along the line.

We all tend to use slightly different commands, I know when I want a horse to slow I always throw in a 'S T E A D Y' lol, now I know that, my Horse knows that and responds to it, but unless I tell whoever he goes to next, they won't know and so Morse could be easily confused initially, make sure you use what voice commands you will be using in every bit of her handling, i.e. walk-on, back, etc., (I am sorry if I sound like I am trying to teach you to suck eggs, lol, but it was a BASIC mistake I made in my initial handling of my youngster) but that way she will get used to your commands before you ask for anything on the lunge.

Best of luck with her, enjoy, thats what its all about, for both of you. I am sure there will be times when you will want to pull your hair out, lol, but start to get 'inside her head' and see things from her point of view and you will soon see that every positive step forward bonds you closer together and is probably better than getting round Badminton, lol.

xx

Last edited:
Would definitely try the lungeing you mentioned. Our youngster responds really well and it gives you a chance to see how she goes and to really get her voice responsive. Silly-filly almost falls over when she canters so we need to teach her balance! You can control really well on the lunge so teach her to keep to a certain speed etc before you even get on.:)

Lot's and lot's of walking in hand around your paddock area with tack on before you get on her gradually moving a little futher away from her so that she is going just from your voice then a nice little 10mins on her back at the end just getting her used to you and I'm sure that in no time she will settle with you and start to come on leaps and bounds.

Lot's and lot's of walking in hand around your paddock area with tack on before you get on her gradually moving a little futher away from her so that she is going just from your voice then a nice little 10mins on her back at the end just getting her used to you and I'm sure that in no time she will settle with you and start to come on leaps and bounds.

Thank you madlady that's what I thought would work best for her at the moment - I did some in hand stuff the other day and she was really good listening to me etc and totally calm, I should have really done a bit of that first yesterday too before getting on - we will do that tonight then she'll have a couple of days off before the weekend when we can spend more time getting to know each other. She is my first 'own' horse but I didn't want a been there done it bought the t-shirt type because I want to learn from the experience too and push my own boundaries a bit - I don't mind how long each step takes I just want to get it right, Thanks:D

Hi RRA

you are in the same position as me, my mare does the silly rear when she doesnt go forward, she is green aswell and I am having to do alot of in hand work and lunging. I havent ridden her since I tried her out having just leading and lunging.

Good luck and keep us updated xx

My boy does the silly rear when he doesn't want to go forward and he's 9 :eek:
Lots of in hand work, maybe some natural horsemanship and soon your horse will be trusting you.

newrider.com