First fall - knocked my confidence

New Rider Nic

Jan 6, 2015
Motherwell, Scotland
So, after 6 months of learning, I had my first fall. The thing I’ve been most nervous about since I started.

I was on a horse in my 2nd group lesson who I’d ridden for the first time a couple of days before in my private lesson. She used to be a cart horse, so she’s huge, powerful and very fast.

In my private lesson she kept tripping but the RI reassured me that she NEVER falls. And she didn’t.

Then in my group lesson, she was tripping over her feet again but I managed a few (slightly messy) canters on her and the whole lesson went well, until right at the end while in a fast trot, she fell.

She tripped with her front legs and landed on her knees. Which meant I came off over her head and landed on my back. (thank goodness for my BP)

I was on the ground before I even had time to think about it, then my first thought was to get out of the way in case she fell on top of me. When I first tried to stand up and move, my legs were completely numb, must’ve been the shock. It was like one of those dreams where you’re trying to run but can only move in slow motion!

I was fine afterwards, but because the lesson had ended, I didn’t get back on. I didn’t feel too rattled by it at the time, but now my lesson on Saturday is approaching my nerves are through the roof! I had quite a bit of tossing and turning in bed last night at the thought of it. I fear I’ll be a nervous wreck come Saturday!

I suppose the best thing I can do is get back in the saddle isn’t it? Any tips to stop me being a complete wreck for my lesson?:eek:

Yes definitely and preferably the same horse :eek: your heart will be in your mouth but once on it will help loads.

I was told as a kid learning that you had to fall off a hundred times to be a good rider probably just to get me to keep getting back on, but there is probably some truth in it too :) When I was on holiday in Devon once as a kid I went riding every day, at the end of the 2 weeks I was presented with a trophy for 'best grass inspector' so I worked pretty hard on that 100 fall target as a kid but I can confirm that dealing with falls as an adult is all the harder, I do find getting right back on before the adrenaline has worn off is the best thing for me.

LOL you will be fine, a trip like that is a 1 in 1000's chance, and it was just an accident, no one at fault/she wasn't trying to ditch you, so getting back on, even if its just to walk her will help you lots, well it would help me as I find the longer I leave things the worse I make them out to be in my head.

Wonder why she keeps tripping? Just curious. Hope you are okay and not stiff or sore! My first fall made me terribly sore and worried - so I can relate to you having a sleepless night. Personally, this is just me, I would want a lesson on a different horse - one that is known for being ploddy. Just to regain my mojo and then eventually maybe the lesson after that go for the "tripper" again. I learnt on three different ones. One a canter bucker, one a motorbiker and one an absolute angel cob. When bucker had me off the first few times OH and I swapped (we had lessons together) and I got motorbiker - which didn't help as he gave me a different phobia! Angelcob did the trick, he gave me wings again and restored my mojo. Then, I got put back on bucker and felt a lot more confident. Can't say we ever totally gelled but riding Angelcob really helped me.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I have to differ about getting on the same horse again. If she had tripped and fallen without any sign of tripping before hand then I would agree get back on her. But as you have experience of her doing this tripping on both previous lessons I would ask for another mount.

You say she is an ex driving horse, quite possible she isn't balanced and is on the forehand too much and needs some schooling to make her carry herself better for riding. Not your job to do that, tis the job of the riding school to provide a horse that is fit and safe to be ridden by a novice having lessons.

Just tell them you have experienced this tripping with the horse in earlier lessons and you will not be riding her again - full stop. With some driving horses (particularly the heavier kind) it can take some time and some work by an experienced rider to get them moving from behind and carrying themselves correctly with a rider onboard.

I have to differ about getting on the same horse again. If she had tripped and fallen without any sign of tripping before hand then I would agree get back on her. But as you have experience of her doing this tripping on both previous lessons I would ask for another mount.

You say she is an ex driving horse, quite possible she isn't balanced and is on the forehand too much and needs some schooling to make her carry herself better for riding. Not your job to do that, tis the job of the riding school to provide a horse that is fit and safe to be ridden by a novice having lessons.

Just tell them you have experienced this tripping with the horse in earlier lessons and you will not be riding her again - full stop. With some driving horses (particularly the heavier kind) it can take some time and some work by an experienced rider to get them moving from behind and carrying themselves correctly with a rider onboard.
This is a very valid point, I'm a bit of the old school that you always get straight back on, even if it is only to sit or walk for a minute.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I have to say I would probably not ride the horse again. The riding school i used to go to had a horse that was trippy and in one of my group lessons he was being ridden in front of me and he came right down on his knees whilst trotting and the rider did the same as you, she went flying over his head and landed on her back and winded herself, I always swore after that I would never ride him. I was told on many occassion he was my horse for the lesson that week but I refused and made them give me another horse. About a year later I did start to ride him in lessons, I jumped, cantered everything with him but he always didn't just feel right to me and I did point it out but was just ignored as I got the feeling the RI just thought they knew best. He then did it with me, just as we went into a canter he went straight down onto his knees so hard his face hit the ground, I managed to stay on (don't know how) he got up and it was like he was stunned, I was made to carry on but he did it again the next day in a lesson and was then turned away to the field for a year? He is back in lesson but not advanced lessons, they never would indulge what was wrong with him. He was gorgeous and a real gentleman.
I agree with the above in that the Instructor should have let you get back on to just walk around a bit.

LOL you will be fine, a trip like that is a 1 in 1000's chance, and it was just an accident, no one at fault/she wasn't trying to ditch you

The RI said the same thing, reassured me it was nothing I did and that i was just "unlucky"

I'm definitely going to ask for another horse, at this stage, if it happened again I risk it putting me off completely. She tripped constantly throughout both lessons. She's also incredibly fast. When I told the RI I had already cantered her in my private lesson but that I'd held the saddle with one hand she was horrified. she said the instructor shouldn't have allowed it as it's like "driving a racecar without steering or brakes" I do find myself wondering why they all tell me different things and whether they ever actually talk to each other at the RS!

he got up and it was like he was stunned

She was the same, it was very odd actually and the RI and I were intially worried. She stayed on her knees for quite a bit just sitting there with the whites of her eyes showing before she got up. I was scared she'd damaged her legs

I agree Jessey - and even if it was the end of the lesson I do think the Instructor should have taken time to help OP remount and even just walk around for a minute or two.

After I came off, the RI asked another girl who is more experienced to ride her once round the school to check the horse was OK. She did say as we were leaving that I could get back on for a minute if I really wanted to but that she didn't think I needed to. I then had to take her back to her stable and untack her and she said someone would come and help as i'd never done it before. no-one appeared so i eventually got one of the other riders to come and help me. Embarrassed to admit i was too nervous to take her in to her stable incase she fell on me!

One other thing that's dawned on me....

My RS have never taken down any details from me - phone number or anything.... shouldn't they have done this when I first started lessons? If anything had happened to me, they wouldn't even have known who to call.

I also thought they would have some kind of paperwork to do if someone has a fall, I can only compare it to my workplace where we have to fill out an accident form for everything! I just dusted myself off and was handed the reins to take her back to the stable o_O

Poor you. I agree with everyone else that this really was bad luck - 1 in a 1000 that a horse would trip like that - and wasn't as a result of anything you did or she did so do your best not to worry it is going to happen again. But I also agree with those who've said they wouldn't ride her again at least at first. In any situation after you've come off in a lesson think it is fine to ask for another horse until you've got your mojo back and then go back to the one you fell from. But in this case I'd also want her tripping to have improved and for them to have had her checked over before getting on again. It does sound like your RS are a bit lax on the health and safety front. These days most schools have you fill in forms before you ride, fill in an accident book when you come off etc. I think they have to because of insurance. But as long as you feel that they are teaching you well, have a good attitude to your safety, and care for the horses I personally wouldn't be bothered about a lax attitude to paperwork.

Reactions: squidsin
Definitely explain to your RI before your next lesson that your confidence has taken a knock as well as your BP! Maybe ask to stay within your comfort zone for a couple of weeks until you feel happier again?

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Definitely explain to your RI before your next lesson that your confidence has taken a knock as well as your BP! Maybe ask to stay within your comfort zone for a couple of weeks until you feel happier again?
I'll do that. I need a few calmer lessons to get my mojo back. My last few lessons have been on really strong, fast horses.
A couple on a nice bombproof, plodding horse are definitely in order!

Reactions: Trewsers
Do you have a different riding school you could try? I don't think your place sound very professional at all tbh. Firstly why are they using a horse who is tripping and not finding out what the problem is and secondly every good school I've ever been to and even the not so good ones have all asked me for contact details in case of accident. I'm quite shocked.
Sorry you fell and I'm sure once you get back on you will feel a bit better about it all.

Changing schools has crossed my mind to be honest, despite how much I’m enjoying my riding. The more time I spend there the more I question some of what goes on.

They are incredibly laid back about things.

On our very first lesson we were left to find a hat for ourselves which no-one checked was the right fit.
In my first group lesson, I was told to go and get my horse out of the stable and lead it to the mounting block, I’d never done it before but when I said this, I was told I’d figure it out. Her reins were buckled into her bridle and although I got her to the block alright, when the RI came in, I got told off(nicely) for leading her in like that without undoing them. But I didn’t know any better.

Then after my fall I was left to untack the horse on my own, despite having said I’d never done it and being told a staff member would come help. I was at the far end of the stables completely alone until one of the other riders arrived to see where I’d got to.

In the past few weeks, I’ve had 3 different RIs covering for my regular one, but there doesn’t seem to be any handover. I always have to explain to them what I’ve been doing.

I was almost given the horse that fell about 3 weeks ago by a different instructor, but my regular instructor told her to change it at the last minute as she felt this horse was too fast for me. When I was told I was riding her last week by yet another instructor – who’d never seen me ride – I told him this, but he just said I’d be fine. Which i was, to be fair.

I mentioned my fall to a friend who rides and he asked me if I’d been told basic safety information like how to fall, how to approach the horse etc and he was clearly shocked when I said no.
My 8 year old niece has a private lesson 30 mins before me and none of this has ever been covered with her either.

My RI for my private lessons is constantly at the far end of the school on her phone during lessons (texting) which I do find a bit odd.

There’s frequently whole groups of kids who help out there in the indoor school when I’m learning, scoffing food from the burger van, which has distracted a few of the horses!

My group RI seems to have made assumptions about what I’ve been taught in my private lessons – she assumed I’d been taught half halts – I hadn’t. Assumed I’d started on the lunge - I’ve never been lunged.

Asked me to cue for canter from walk in class on Tuesday and I had to explain that all I’d been taught how to do was go into sitting trot at a corner and kick, kick, kick while holding the saddle.

I’d just assumed that was how riding schools were and that they let you learn by just getting on with it.

I’d hate to have to change schools as it’s so convenient, the people are really nice and my niece loves it there. But maybe it’s something I should be considering??

sorry, this has turned into a full essay!:oops:

Changing schools has crossed my mind to be honest, despite how much I’m enjoying my riding. The more time I spend there the more I question some of what goes on.

They are incredibly laid back about things.

On our very first lesson we were left to find a hat for ourselves which no-one checked was the right fit.
In my first group lesson, I was told to go and get my horse out of the stable and lead it to the mounting block, I’d never done it before but when I said this, I was told I’d figure it out. Her reins were buckled into her bridle and although I got her to the block alright, when the RI came in, I got told off(nicely) for leading her in like that without undoing them. But I didn’t know any better.

Then after my fall I was left to untack the horse on my own, despite having said I’d never done it and being told a staff member would come help. I was at the far end of the stables completely alone until one of the other riders arrived to see where I’d got to.

In the past few weeks, I’ve had 3 different RIs covering for my regular one, but there doesn’t seem to be any handover. I always have to explain to them what I’ve been doing.

I was almost given the horse that fell about 3 weeks ago by a different instructor, but my regular instructor told her to change it at the last minute as she felt this horse was too fast for me. When I was told I was riding her last week by yet another instructor – who’d never seen me ride – I told him this, but he just said I’d be fine. Which i was, to be fair.

I mentioned my fall to a friend who rides and he asked me if I’d been told basic safety information like how to fall, how to approach the horse etc and he was clearly shocked when I said no.
My 8 year old niece has a private lesson 30 mins before me and none of this has ever been covered with her either.

My RI for my private lessons is constantly at the far end of the school on her phone during lessons (texting) which I do find a bit odd.

There’s frequently whole groups of kids who help out there in the indoor school when I’m learning, scoffing food from the burger van, which has distracted a few of the horses!

My group RI seems to have made assumptions about what I’ve been taught in my private lessons – she assumed I’d been taught half halts – I hadn’t. Assumed I’d started on the lunge - I’ve never been lunged.

Asked me to cue for canter from walk in class on Tuesday and I had to explain that all I’d been taught how to do was go into sitting trot at a corner and kick, kick, kick while holding the saddle.

I’d just assumed that was how riding schools were and that they let you learn by just getting on with it.

I’d hate to have to change schools as it’s so convenient, the people are really nice and my niece loves it there. But maybe it’s something I should be considering??

sorry, this has turned into a full essay!:oops:
Have to say reading your post above I wouldn't be going there anytime soon! Blimey, it's quite scary really - I do get the feeling that they are perhaps a bit to laid back.
Have you done any work on the lunge or without stirrups? That will help you develop your seat and help to stop you tensing up and griping with your knees. Which in turn will give you a bit more confidence. :)
As for your RI texting while she's giving you a lesson maybe Im old fashioned but that would annoy me, you are paying for her time and instruction and as such should have her attention.
I think you would probably enjoy your lessons much more at a place where you felt safe and where you trusted the people teaching you too.

Have you done any work on the lunge or without stirrups? That will help you develop your seat and help to stop you tensing up and griping with your knees. Which in turn will give you a bit more confidence. :)
I've done some work without stirrups, my RI usually has me trot once round the school without them before starting to canter. I've never done any work on the lunge.
I'll give the idea of trying a new school some thought. It's a tough one because the current RS is really close to where I live and I enjoy my lessons there, but I do find it a bit slap dash, which doesn't exactly help with my nerves.
My niece is also really settled there, so I wouldn't want to uproot her but our time together at the stables has become really important to both of us, so I don't want us to stop going together.

newrider.com