First Fall

JodieB

Dec 12, 2019
So I had my first fall today. Riding a horse who really had it about her and was very fiesty today. She went one way and I went the other. In a bit of pain tonight as landed on my side. Think it's just bruised ribs.

I did get straight back on though and finished the lesson.

Reactions: Jessey
So I had my first fall today. Riding a horse who really had it about her and was very fiesty today. She went one way and I went the other. In a bit of pain tonight as landed on my side. Think it's just bruised ribs.

I did get straight back on though and finished the lesson.
Oh no, hope the pain isn't too bad. Well done for getting on and finishing. The dreaded first fall At least you were with an instructor for some moral support.

I felt a bit silly and disheartened after a fall I had in December and then I heard a good quote - the only people who have never fallen off a horse are the ones that have never gotten on. Made me feel better xx

Reactions: Huggy
Well, go you! You're definitely hooked when falling off doesn't put you off. Glad you're ok though. Enjoy your next lesson, but make sure you're all healed up.

Thank you. Was in agony last night but seems quite a bit better this morning. I did speak to the RI to check it wasn't anything I had done and she said it wasn't. She just said she was a 'very very naughty horse' and they put her out on a lunge after my lesson to let off some steam I think.

I also asked whether a body protector might be a good idea as I am 53 and don't bounce anymore. She said it might be something to consider. So I will look into that but think I need to go somewhere to get it properly fitted which won't be cheap but I think it will be worth it for my confidence as much as anything else.

Oh well done for getting back on.
I always ride in a body protector. Ive had a few falls, some silly ones, some more serious. A few of my knocks have definitely been absorbed by my bp. It shouldnt cost you anything to get it fitted. Its just the layout cost of purchasing one. Try on a few before you buy. Walk around the shop for a bit in it before you commit. If youve never tried one on they can feel very restrictive and clostrophic to start with.

I always ride in a bp too - and they dont need replacing after every fall.
I didnt start with one Jodie B. But got one to start hacking. In the UK children learning to jump must wear one.

Have been along to my local shop this morning and now have a Racesafe Provent 3.0 body protector. It feels quite lightweight and there is good room at the arm hole so didn't seem to restrict movement. Had it fitted and they got me to sit on a saddle to make sure it was the right length.

Jodie They should not be loose round the armhole and the neck. here is a risk they might slide up in a fall. They should be quite a snug fit and worn over your base layer. I feel strongly about this as my first one bought from my RS shop turned out to be unsafe. I changed riding schools and it was rejected.

Hi Skib, yes it's a snug fit. I meant the cut around the armholes as in the cut is not right up to the arm pit. The second one I tried was too big as you say it did not sit snug on the shoulders and I think that one would have ridden up.

Up date on my fall. Seems I was more injured that I realised and have cracked a couple of ribs. I know once the swelling goes down this this happens with cracked ribs (I used to ice skate competitively and this is a common skating injury). So think I will need 3 or 4 weeks before I feel mended enough to go back to lessons. It's such a shame because I have really been enjoying it but these things happen and I wouldn't want to risk falling again until I am a bit less broken.

• Sad
Unlucky, but you're being sensible. Could you just go to watch a few lessons? It's amazing what you can pick up from watching, and you could at least get a bit of pony time. I hope you heal up quickly.

Update on the riding. So 6 weeks after my fall I went back to riding yesterday. I have joined a school that's a bit further away because they do a riding plan where you pay so much a month and have a weekly lesson. If you miss any you get a credit and can do a workshop or a hack to make up the time.

It's actually a disabled riding school and all the profits from the non disabled riders goes to disabled riding part of the school which I think is a very good idea.

I've joined the group fo complete beginners as I think it will help me to get my confidence back.

The lesson was excellent. We had to take our horses into the arena and were shown how to adjust girth and the stirrups then at the end we had to untack the horses and put everything away. This was really great as I think it should be part of learning to ride to actually know how to do all of this. Places I have been before the horse has always been brought out ready tacked and then taken away by someone else at the end.

The actual riding was good, walking and walking with no stirrups and then some trotting so all good and even though I was a bit nervous to start with was fine by the end of the lesson.

Also wore the new body protector which actually by the end of the lesson I forgot I even had it on. It was pretty comfortable.

newrider.com