First horse

My puzzle a little is why the owner of the yard hasn't noticed this?
Shame but I would be walking away- at the moment.
It's one of those catch 22 though. A fat pony turned away will have soft hooves that might not cope with unlevel ground, but fit and in work might.
Mites can cause a pony to be unsound. Clear that up and you might actually find they are ok. They cannot be seen by the naked eye, you need to do a skin scraping, so what was the vet looking at? This could be sweetitch.

See what the vetting turns up.
The working livery could work out if the yard will be using experienced riders for them, it won't benefit you though if they start using for novices that start to undo any hardwork, or, if they them up their work to a fitness level you can't manage.
My RI has always said school for the fitness you need. I enjoy having but mine doesn't need to be endurance fit to enjoy it.
Oh dear. Poor boy failed. My mate thought she could feel pulses in his legs, she was right. Vet got him to trot up on uneven ground. Hes foot sore. This would explain his reluctance to lift his feet. Also has mites in his feathers. Couldnt continue the vetting as the soreness meant he is slightly lame in left foreleg. He's been allowef to stand around in a field for too long. The other night I hacked the poor boy out on concrete too!!! Feel awful. Vet thinks its just because hes been left for so long. She kindly only charged me half the fee. Poor boy. She says I shouldnt rule him out completely. If the yard want to sell him its their job to get him sound. Daughter bereft
!.
My puzzle a little is why the owner of the yard hasn't noticed this?
Shame but I would be walking away- at the moment.
It's one of those catch 22 though. A fat pony turned away will have soft hooves that might not cope with unlevel ground, but fit and in work might.
Mites can cause a pony to be unsound. Clear that up and you might actually find they are ok. They cannot be seen by the naked eye, you need to do a skin scraping, so what was the vet looking at? This could be sweetitch.
yes. Walked away for now xx

How disappointing, but the vet is right, it's up to the yard to sort him out if they want to sell him. Hopefully they can and a further vetting will pass, don't let them convince you that they have got him sound and you don't need another vetting if you decide to reconsider at a later date.

Reactions: lauren123
It is a shame, he sounds a lovely boy, however, this is why people have horses vetted, better to know now than have bought him and end up with a horse who may or may not ever come sound.
I hope the riding school do the decent thing and get to the bottom of his lameness/mites before they try and sell him on.

Reactions: Trewsers
Well, that is a sad outcome for you and the horse, but better than you pay good money for a horse in bad condition with all sorts of potential medical issues. Well done for walking away, I think in the future you will be glad you did.

Reactions: Huggy
I feel sad for you and this horse. But buying a lame horse is no fun. If they run a riding school, I would have thought that the owners would be able to see if he is lame? Sounds like they were trying to pull a fast one to me.

I have just been reading the comments about prices. 8 years ago I bought my horse. He was 7 years old, 16.1hh shire x who was (and still is) as safe as houses. I paid £3500 for him and thought he was an absolute bargain. It was the best money I ever spent. If you want something that is relatively young, safe, honest and genuine, you need to be looking at least to pay £3000 upwards.

Just caught up with this. Its a shame he failed the vetting i hope he will pass if you get him done again.
He sounds like a nice chap though.
Price wise for a very safe horse i would be thinking around the 3k mark.
My boy was £1800 and he is a worrier. Though he is normally good in traffic he can have times when he has a meltdown and needs someone confident aboard to re-assure him. Whether that is giving him a wide berth,sitting to the spin or sitting there like a lemon while he takes whatevee is spooky in.

That's such a shame. I did have a friend who had her heart set on buying a horse who had lameness issues. The dealer kept the horse until the horse was cured and saved her for my friend to buy. She did have issues for about 3 months after buying but now the horse is going lovely. Would your Riding School sort out the problems and then look to sell?

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com