First show in March..... and I'm TOTALLY CLUELESS!

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
I want to take Thyme to a local show. Showing is not something I've ever done. So can I ask some very obvious questions?!

1) She'll go in a 2/3 yo class. Do I have to use a bridle? Does it have to be brown? And can I clip a rope to it or do I have to hold the reins (all our in-hand work is done with a rope!) Or is a head collar ok for a 3 yo?
2) What do I wear?
3) Do I have to plait her up?

Would she be suitable for any other types of class? Best condition, for eg. As she is so under-developed I doubt she'd do well, but I want her to have experience in the ring, Also would she classify as 'Hunter' type? Photo below.

Wish us luck....

DSC01268 by Team KP Nut, on Flickr

As she is a filly she doesn't have to be fully bitted (only colts have to be shown bitted), however if she is already bitted then you can show in a bridle (small ring rubber bradoons are a popular bit for showing youngstock). Brown technically is correct, but at local level black won't be a problem at all.

If you have a tweed jacket and beige trousers (or light jodphurs) that would be good, but again depending on the show, you could probably easily wear what you would wear for a ridden show (long boots are quite difficult to run in though)

I would try and take her into all sorts of classes, if they have them you could do potential Riding Horse/Hunter Type classes. It's great experience for them to get out and see the world!

But most of all.....pack yourself some sarnies and just have a great day out with your girl, fun is the name of the game :)

Definitely bridle and show with the reins unless she really doesn't cope then use a coupling to the bit with leather lead (half a rein will do!!) The rule about bits for colts only applies to yearlings ,all older horses should be bitted.

Ideal tack is brown but don't worry too much about this, she is a good hunter type and yes should be plaited.

With a grey I personally would wear tweed jacket collar tie and dark trousers (to contrast with legs). Never wear jods or riding gear for inhand! A riding hat or beagler, gloves, showcane and boots you can run in!!

Given time to mature and develop more back end she will do well at local level!!

Thanks! So I need to go shopping.... Just a normal riding hat? Any dark trousers? (eg my suit trousers I wear for work - sorry if that is a REALLY silly question) and what is a show cane for? Is it just traditional dress or is it actually used as a cue?

And yes B&P, looking forward to sharing a few sarnies and and an ice-cream with my lovely girlie and having lots of fun :)

Can I also ask what it is you are judged on in showing? I assume conformation & turn-out. But what about manners, paces, attitude, harmony etc??

Work trousers as long as not too floaty would be fine, normal riding hat although preferably not a skull cap, if that is what you have use a blue velvet cover. The show cane can be useful. We had a 17hh 3yo that fell asleep if the lineup was too long so it was useful to prod him with otherwise just really decorative!!!

Depends on the judge what they like but should be type ( ie true hunter or whatever the class is looking for ...this is more important the bigger the show/class) then conformation which includes paces and condition. Manners and turnout while not considered directly will have a big influence on a judge, a scruffy rude horse that won't stand still or run out well cannot be judged and will often go to the bottom of the line.

newrider.com