First time sharing advice needed please!

Tiff45

The quiet rider
May 2, 2015
Hertfordshire
hello, I'm at a point where I have some time and confidence to commit to sharing a horse (yay!) but haven't ever shared before...

I wondered if I could enquire as to what others have arranged with their shares and any tips on what I should ask before committing?

What's a 'fair share' ??!

If you are in the UK, have a look at the sharing /loan agreements suggested by the BHS.

If you are answering an ad for a sharer from someone you dont know, be clear about the definition of sharing. Rider only insurance will cover you only if you are sharing by contributing to the upkeep of the horse. So be careful of owners hiring out horses by the hour, for which they will need a licence and their own insurance.

My share was offered me by someone who knew me and my riding and who trusted me with her horse, and I think the best shares may well come about by word of mouth and by networking.

Reactions: Tiff45
I think a fair share is what ever you feel is fair in return for the riding/horse time you get :D
Some people offer a share in exchange for yard duties or yard duties plus a small contribution to costs, others offer the share on a full livery (they or a yard take care of all the day to day care) in return for money, some might offer it for nothing as they just want a riding buddy/their horse exercised more. Shares are often 2-3 days per week and you can, within reason, do what you like riding wise be it schooling, hacking etc.
Definitely ride any potential share horse before agreeing, no matter how well behaved they say it is ;) and always ask exactly what jobs they would need you to do and if there are set times which they expect you to do them. If you get along with horse and owner I would be inclined to ask if you can do a 1-2 week trial where the owner is with you so you can 'learn the ropes' of their specific routine, methods & iron out any little worries you may have :D

I had a sharer for a while. I found mine by a wanted ad that she had posted on facebook. She did 3 to 4 days a week to fit around my work hours doing all jobs as well as ride. She had full responsibility on her days. It worked well for us both but sadly she quit sharing to concentrate on her dogs (she shows and breeds german shephards) I think sharing works well providing you both ride similarly, have the same ideas of care and that you can both approach each other over anything you feel needs to be spoken about.

I loaned becca for 14 months before I bought her. I had a sharer, she had her 2 days and I had her the rest. When I bought her the sarer moved on to another horse. The owner of the horse was the YO . She still is I haven't moved. :)

One thing I will add is to make sure (and I'm sure you will) to be totally honest. You will need to get on with the owner and as others have said it will help if you are like minded. Ask as many questions as you like and don't be afraid to say 'thank you but not for me' if it's not what you hoped from the advert.
Also as others have said ask if you can do a short time with the owner around so you can learn how they do everything, where everything is kept, routines etc be reliable and take care of the horse as if it were your own and above all really listen to what the owner tells you and act on that. Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Great tips. Thank you all. I have been offered a couple of horses so going to see them, their owners and the yards. The trial period is a brilliant idea to see how it all fits together and whether we all get on and I can really make the commitment as I dont want to let anyone down. Really excited! :)

Reactions: Jessey
My first share was with an RS, not sure if this exists in the UK but was a very clear contract and a good starting point.
PS : I ended up buying the horse as he turned into my best friend:D. Not financially viable as I've only just had to retire him with navicular but he's still my best friend anyway and I glad he's with me rather than in a school;)

newrider.com