First XC tomorrow

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
And I'm bricking it.:(

It's a mini course- 1'0 and then 2'0. All on bogey time - so closest to the average of everyone's scores wins. So he and I will be walking the woodland section (lots of ponies on lead reins in the first class) and taking the long way round through the woods, and trotting most of the rest of it.

I'm bricking it because last time we were out on grass, trotting, he slipped and we both hit the grass. :oops:

Even more anxiety-inducing... we're first. Literally first in the first class of the day. :confused:

I've walked the course but I can't remember it. Argh.

So, any tips for a) cross country in general, b) getting a handle on my nerves, and c) staying confident about him not losing his footing.

Thanking you muchly.

With you being first in the 1ft class it sort of gets it out the way. Not that you want it out the way, but from a nerves point of view you are not hanging around.

Our mini course is away from the main one and sort of does a circle. You might be allowed someone on the ground if it's allowing lead rein?

Remember what colour flag your course is, it's funny what you remember when you get going. Kick on and smile! I wouldn't he too worried about the time just enjoy it!

Reactions: HaloHoney
just trot them if you are worried and keep your shoulders back. Is he shod? studs might make you feel a bit happier on grass if you are going to be doing more..

just trot them if you are worried and keep your shoulders back. Is he shod? studs might make you feel a bit happier on grass if you are going to be doing more..
Yes he is shod on all 4- when he arrived with us his shoes had stud holes in them. I thought I wouldn't need stud holes, so he doesn't have them now... will reconsider that decision I think. Stud holes doesn't mean I need to use studs but it does give me the option! I don't think they cost any more either. Will chat to farrier next time he's up. :)

And we will definitely be doing more.

Good luck and hope you enjoy yourselves! Going first the ground might be better anyway!

Oh my days I have an AMAZING horse. I am riding him so much better, and we had a great time- we did two classes- 1'0 and 2'0.

First class, first partnership on the course... we were on bogey time (closest to the average of everyone's time). So how on earth I was supposed to figure out what that was, considering I was only warming up with 2 others in the collecting ring, I do not know!

So, we went out, trotting round a lot of it (I guessed there would be a few teeny tiny ponies and some on lead reins), which means the pace would be quite slow. So I was trotting, getting him into a canter, cantering out of the jump, and then back to trot. The woods section I walked (it was quite slippery in places), and then the last 2 fences I cantered, even though I was nervous about getting him to take a dog leg line because he had been difficult to turn... until today. Now I am riding with my seat (open the door with the rein, then leg, leg legggggg and he turns!) Going up the hill out of the last bit (woodland section), over the fence, and then out into the paddock and over the last was FUN... until 5 strides after the last he spotted a manhole cover in the field and started going sideways. LOL. Hoof-perfect all the way round, and then prancing about after he'd finished. I can't fault him for that really.

Went off, untacked him as there were loads still to go in our class and then another whole class to go before our next run.

2'0 class, warming up- found out we came 4th in our first class! Astonished and chuffed to bits.

Next class out he was amazing. Woods first on this one, again I walked the route through the woods as there were some deep muddy sections, but then cantered up the hill and out into the rest of the course. Or at least I had planned to, until I lost a stirrup going over fence 5, and had to slow right down until I had regained my balance/stirrup. Gosh he's fun! I was still a little nervous about taking corners so probably trotted more than I could have, but today wasn't about that, it was about learning how we fit together. He is absolutely amazing and I love him.

We were over a minute off the pace on our second round, but I think we'll be quicker the more we do.

So, I came away with a green rosette and a bag of minty treats for him because I scored the "best thirty something" entry as well!

Cannot believe how lucky I am to have such an amazing horse. He is brilliantly fabulous and I cannot wait to go places with him.

I am just editing the GoPro footage of both rounds. Will link them when I've got them up on YouTube.

Thanks for the tips, if I could bottle this feeling and sell it I'd be a squillionaire!

Glad you had fun. That's what it's all about.
We have had a lot of rain and there is nothing wrong with trotting or even walking if you are unsure of your ground.

Brilliant report, it's all about having fun especially when you're starting out. Sounds like you did fab for your first time, well done!

Yes better to trot if unsure than risk a slip.

newrider.com