Fitness for riding

Yanusha

Jul 22, 2017
Hi, I am new to the forum.
I rode in my teens (never very well. But could canter), and then intermittently (walk, trot only as I lost confidence). I am now 58 and have had one to one lessons for a few weeks now and love it, but get frustrated at my tension when garnering (losing stirrups, etc). Yesterday I had an hour without stirrups which helped but today I am aching all over and have a painful lower back! What is the best exercise for avoiding this?

Hi, I am new to the forum.
I rode in my teens (never very well. But could canter), and then intermittently (walk, trot only as I lost confidence). I am now 58 and have had one to one lessons for a few weeks now and love it, but get frustrated at my tension when garnering (losing stirrups, etc). Yesterday I had an hour without stirrups which helped but today I am aching all over and have a painful lower back! What is the best exercise for avoiding this?
That should read "cantering" not garnering!!

Hello and welcome :)
Best I can suggest is core muscle work and maybe something like yoga/pilates or even tai chi, all of those will help not only with strength but with relaxation and stretching too which is equally important. Oh and practise, practise, practise, nothing works your bodies riding muscles better than riding :D

Reactions: Yanusha
If it hurts the next day you have overdone it. Enjoy riding by adjusting it to your age and body. Do the more exacting things in moderation. I do.

Reactions: Yanusha
newrider.com