Fixing fly sheets

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
Do any of you patch/repair your own fly sheets?
I generally send stuff away but my repair pile is SO huge! (Thanks Ozzie!)
I need something I can patch with. I have one that’s slightly stretchy fabric but mostly PE superlites which is a bit more ridged.
They seem to fray very easily so I can’t simply stitch them back up.
Where might I get some bits of suitable meshy type fabric?

Mouse was a master of fly sheet destruction so I was sewing things up every few days. I actually patched them up with cuttings from an old fly rug & reinforced bigger repairs with bits of an old lycra turnout hood.

I had a couple of lidl's fly sheets that got so wrecked they were no longer wearable so I've used them to patch fly sheets this year. I've used the belly straps to reinforce the buckle parts where they were getting ripped or snagged. I'd look on your local fb page and see if anyone has a fly sheet going cheap ie says has a few snags then just use that for patching material.
some of mine I've had to patch inside and out if the material on the sheet has become to ripped.

Yup I've used donar rugs to patch with on unsweable materials, that old really stinky glue works, was it called something like copydex, stunk to high heaven and went kind of rubbery when it dried.

Copydex! Stank of fish, I remember. I used to hate the stuff and be a bit scared to use it (I have a fish allergy!)
Good idea! I’m sure I’m adult enough now to use it safely :D

Reactions: Jessey
Copydex! Stank of fish, I remember. I used to hate the stuff and be a bit scared to use it (I have a fish allergy!)
Good idea! I’m sure I’m adult enough now to use it safely :D
Yep that's the stuff, there's probably a far less stinky version out there now, it seemed the rubbery finish was what made it good for rugs as it was flexible.

Reactions: Toz
Yep that's the stuff, there's probably a far less stinky version out there now, it seemed the rubbery finish was what made it good for rugs as it was flexible.
Definitely. Sticks to anything aswell as I remember so a perfect suggestion!

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com