Fjord temperament?

Thanks, tell me that now I've got one:p

> Libby, His passport name is Elvis. A name I shall never call him. He is from Norway and is nearly 7 month old. He is still quite wary of being caught but I will go into the field each day until he trust me. He is out with my wonderfully miserable exmoor mare that I have also owned since she was 6 months.

Lots to look forward to.......:D

I was just re reading this thread and it made me laugh that I wrote about him being wary of being caught. That lasted all of 2 days, now I cant move around the field without him glued to me:D Love him to bits, completly interested in everything..I think he would come into a supermarket with me if I let him:D:D

Fjord - suitable for child?

We are looking to buy a horse for my 11 year old daughter. She currently loans 12.2 welsh x, and is ready for her own now. we are looking for something that will last her for many years, and have seen some Fjords for sale. We have looked at one with a view to buy. The one we looked at is only 4 years old (gelding), and was only broken last year, but was good as gold, when she rode him in the arena and then took him on 20 minute hack.

However but someone has told me they would be to strong / difficult for a child to handlewe are now uncertain and obviously don't want to get something unsuitable.

My knowledge of horses is limited so any comments / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wild Rover, I wouldn't be put of by his breed as such - but can't help feeling a four year-old is too young for a child.

Wild Rover, I would say think carefully about buying any 4 year old as a first pony. Most horses have a teenage phase anytime from 5 to 7. Apart from that he simply will not have experienced enough to bring your daughter on. Ideally look for something that has been there and done it and experienced pony club etc. It does not have to be an expensive jumping or games pony, just safe to handle and use to different activities and situations.

Its better to buy for the stage you are at now and sell later for something bigger and more forward. That way she will gain confidence and not be put off.

I was just re reading this thread and it made me laugh that I wrote about him being wary of being caught. That lasted all of 2 days, now I cant move around the field without him glued to me:D Love him to bits, completly interested in everything..I think he would come into a supermarket with me if I let him:D:D

Thats a Fjord for you. LOL And Congrats on your handsome looking new Fjord!

We are looking to buy a horse for my 11 year old daughter. She currently loans 12.2 welsh x, and is ready for her own now. we are looking for something that will last her for many years, and have seen some Fjords for sale. We have looked at one with a view to buy. The one we looked at is only 4 years old (gelding), and was only broken last year, but was good as gold, when she rode him in the arena and then took him on 20 minute hack.

However but someone has told me they would be to strong / difficult for a child to handlewe are now uncertain and obviously don't want to get something unsuitable.

My knowledge of horses is limited so any comments / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I would highly recommend and older, very well trained, with lots of ridden miles.... Fjord 8 to 12 years old for a young child.
Nordic horses mature later than other breeds of horses and it would be safer to get an older one... in any breed for a child so young.
Some of the Fjords just love children and will do right by them...just take your time looking for that kind.

Thanks

Just to support what has already been suggested, In my experience, horses and ponies can be very easy and sweet when they are so young, they simply don't know any better. I am obviously a fan of the fjord temperament:D But I have known (and owned) very easy sweet TB's and an exmoor and they were incredibly easy in every way, until they turned 5 or 6, then they turned into Kevins.

I would go for a 'been there seen it all, got the t shirt, thrown the t shirt away' type, perhaps hang around at this years pony club rallys and keep your ears and eyes open.

Sharin, thanks, he's great aint he :D

Last edited:
newrider.com