Fjord temperament?

Isnt life spooky!, I take my dog to hydrotherapy and found out the therapist is Norwegien. We had a very long chat about my potential fjord.
She was full of praise of them and wants to come and see mine, when I get one.

Have had some pics sent today from the stud:D

Looks like I'm going in the right direction=Wales!

Going to look at a 9year old gelding tomorrow:D:D:D

He is only 13hh but my current pony is that and she is fine with me, I think he will be chunkier!

How exiting:D

When I was eleven, (gosh fifteen years ago!) I used to have regular riding lessons on a Norwegian Fjord called Heidi. I remember very clearly how safe I felt on her. They are kind horses and are actually very good allrounders. I remember taking Heidi out on a cross-country ride (you could take them to shows for £20 for the day) and she flew round, but I was so comfy.

Hope your viewing goes well. I saw the ad for the one I think you mean and he looks very sweet. If he has a slower brother please let me know :D

When I was eleven, (gosh fifteen years ago!) I used to have regular riding lessons on a Norwegian Fjord called Heidi. I remember very clearly how safe I felt on her. They are kind horses and are actually very good allrounders. I remember taking Heidi out on a cross-country ride (you could take them to shows for £20 for the day) and she flew round, but I was so comfy.

Yeah, Ive heard that they are good allrounders - actually supposed to be very good at showjumping too!!!I guess they do have to be hardy and endurable enough to cope with the Norwegian terrain, and I guess being athletic really helps too - just like Norwegian people! Yay for Norwegians!

Waiting for your update - don't keep us in suspense too long :D!

He was very sweet, but unfortunatly had a habit of twitching and shaking his head. This worried me a little. Current owner said they were experimenting with bits, I rode him in a hackamore.

During the ride we had three dogs run at us barking franticly and he stood like a rock. What a good boy.

I felt that he was a little small, even though my current po is 13'1, she has a nice stride and is more supple.

I liked him lots though. :) It would be easy to buy him just because I want to look after him but I must be strong and sensible.

You may know me from another forum Lor! I completely agree with your way of thinking and until very recently (when I was persuaded rather easily that another Exmoor was the way forward) I was seriously considering a Fjord, there seems to be some very good quality ones in this country and from what I hear they are reliable and good natured, a very versatile breed, and lovely to look at IMO.

*If* I do decide to go to multiple numbers in the future I may well buy a Fjord. Good luck and I'm sure a Fjord would hold its own with an Exmoor!

Wally - you really don't like Exmoors do you? :D Not sure where you're based but if you're ever in Scotland you should give me a shout. There are pactically as many Exmoors up here (esp in Edinburgh) as there are on Exmoor, and I'm sure we could change your mind about them! :)

Well here my boy

:D

Unsure of stable name yet, possibly Toggy, Eric or Rags (short for Ragnar)

DSC00036.jpg

Note my exy trying to get in on things.

omg, went riding in the south of france at a yard where they didn't speak much english, and had ALL fjord ponies. was a bit nervy cos couldn't communicate very well with the RI, but was one of the best rides i've ever had, we went up the side of a mountain and i've got awful vertigo, but they were so surefooted; we went galloping through a wood and they were just hopping over roots- didn't put a foot wrong. love them!!

I have come across a couple- both used for RDA in the local centre

they are fantastic horses, very genuine and docile with the right training- these two were wonderful, and so good with the disable adult riders, and adaptable- quite happily have a whizz with a capable rider!!

Love them, and have always wanted one

Your new boy is gorgeous!! :)

x

Show-jumping - now that made me laugh!

None of our fjords could jump a foot.

We had one that you could light up the jump in neon and have flashing thunderbolts pointing it out, and our fjord would still lumber straight through it. She could personally destroy and flatten a cross-country course single-hooved. To get her to jump, 4 of us would have to shout "Hup" at the right minute and she would jump in shock over the jump and then put in a little hiccough (buck) of happiness coz she had got over. I think you could have trained a Friesian cow to jump quicker than her!!!

Still love her, though!:)

Thanks, tell me that now I've got one:p

> Libby, His passport name is Elvis. A name I shall never call him. He is from Norway and is nearly 7 month old. He is still quite wary of being caught but I will go into the field each day until he trust me. He is out with my wonderfully miserable exmoor mare that I have also owned since she was 6 months.

Lots to look forward to.......:D

newrider.com