Flared barefoot hoof

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Edward has yet to be seen by the farrier and his feet are self trimming beautiful apart from one.

The near side hind has a small flare I have not been overly concerned as his feet were shocking when I got him but the walk to and from the field have pretty much sorted them out.

But it’s coming up to owning him for 10 months and this has not grown out, so farrier coming to bevel the flare on Friday but any other advice appreciate as never had to deal with this before

He is feed chaff and speedibeat out 24/7 ridden twice a week

First photos of flared hoof others for comparison 55B372D7-D4AF-4370-AF10-04A17732FA0A.jpegE0136485-4B68-4536-B880-44413676908E.jpeg2D849FF5-3FF2-4193-9CEA-11EC35D80486.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry too much about that and I wouldn’t get the farrier to touch it either. It isn’t too bad and perhaps he is growing it for a reason. All Ben’s feet are all slightly different shapes, they grow in the best way to support his movement. He has had flare from time to time, but it tends to sort itself out and break off when it needs to.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
It's probably best to run it by your farrier, get him to watch him moving and check there's nothing going on higher up, it's not uncommon to get lateral flares on the hinds though. Of course it could just be residual from being so overgrown before.

Reactions: MrA
Thanks guys barefoot is new to me but I don’t want to shoe unnecessary.

His brother is riding at medium unshod so I want to carry on.

I completely trust my farrier he has known Edward since birth plus his sisters and brothers and trust him completely

It's probably best to run it by your farrier, get him to watch him moving and check there's nothing going on higher up, it's not uncommon to get lateral flares on the hinds though. Of course it could just be residual from being so overgrown before.

This is what I’m thinking he was untouched until I got him at 2.5 years it will need at least a year to grow out

Reactions: Jessey
My farrier came out this week so i got him to check on Billys feet as he hadnt looked for 6 months. Absolutely nothing to do. The vet has also looked at them too this week and concurs. Ive had him just over 4 years and not once have they even been rasped. He is completely self trimming. I have seen a bit of flair on occasion. But after a few rides when you look again theres nothing.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
My farrier came out this week so i got him to check on Billys feet as he hadnt looked for 6 months. Absolutely nothing to do. The vet has also looked at them too this week and concurs. Ive had him just over 4 years and not once have they even been rasped. He is completely self trimming. I have seen a bit of flair on occasion. But after a few rides when you look again theres nothing.
I love hearing other success stories of self trimming horses. Ben's feet haven't been touched for nearly 2 years now and they are so strong and healthy.

@Mary Poppins It definitely does depend on the horse though. After that rucking i had from the vet a few years back because chunkys werent getting trimmed on his backs so the foot wasnt working like it should. He now has a little trim on the back every six weeks as he grows so much hoof it doesnt self trim quick enough. Billy on the other hand is just not growing hoof. Self trimmimg yes, keeping a lovely tidy foot, but we are borderline as i may need shoes for support.

newrider.com