flash nosebands

Jay.o

Aug 15, 2002
Berkshire
Visit site
hi,
i know this a stupid question, but , what does a flash noseband bridle do that a normal doesnt.
i know that the flash has an extra strap that goes infont of the bit but what does it actually do ?
is it there just for show or does it halp keep the horse under control.

It stops the horse from opening its mouth and evading the bit. Although it can also mask signs of discomfort if the horse is sore in the mouth and evading the bit because of pain, rather than naughtiness.

flash nosebands are ment to keep the horses mouth shut so that they can't get away from the bit. i know some people that do put them on for show, but unles a horse needs it shouldn't have one on. though sometimes when we 'play' jumpers at camp i put one on for show but leave it very loose.

The flash noseband does keep the horse from opening his mouth so that he can't get his tongue over the bit. I used to have to use one on my Standardbred, since he was constantly doing this. Funny thing is, though, I don't need to use one any more, and for the life of me, I can't remember how or why he stopped!:confused: :) Huh!

Hey

Ugh i absoloutley despise flash nosebands... If a horse avoids the contact, throws up his head, or is to strong, go back to the basics, look at the teeth or do more schooling. Dont just clamp his mouth shut and hope that it will solve the problem. I mean like sure westren horses will do the same things as english horses, but westren people dont even use a noseband!

I know there may be a few expectations where people absoloutley have to use a noseband but ugh...

I noticed at my new barn people are using nosebands mainly for a fashion acseccsory... I have seen 5 people ride and they have all had nosebands.

But in my opinion less is better, Like when i ride westren i use my fave bridle, it doesnt have a fore band, trought latch, or a nose band... and i use it with a snaffle or a thom thumb... unfortuantly you have to stop using snaffles if the horse is over 5.. if your showing.

I agree whole heartedly Lil Cowgirl. Less is totaly better. I ride english and i don't even HAVE a noseband on my horse, even if that means i don't get placed in turnout classes because of it. Once a judge even had the cheek to tell me "next time you enter a turnout class you should make sure your horse is in correct tack" I really wanted to tell her where to shove her ribbons...but i didn't cos she is a local judge and judges alot of the shows i go to, don't want to get on her bad side! Im not putting unecessary tack on my horse just for a ribbon, and certainly not one that clamps my horses mouth shut! Why do people even put Cavesson nosebands on their horses? It's not like they even DO anything. Except give you one more bit of leather to clean, one more strap to rub your horse, one more thing to worry about the correct fit of....

Oringinally posted by Shady_Indigo
Why do people even put Cavesson nosebands on their horses? It's not like they even DO anything. Except give you one more bit of leather to clean, one more strap to rub your horse, one more thing to worry about the correct fit of....

Good point of veiw ;) I wouldnt use a noseband for english except for the fact that the only english bridles we had at my old barn both had nosebands... I always left them rather use anyways. :rolleyes: And besides since i didnt like the nosebands and all the other extra stuff about the english bridles i normally used a hackamore or my fave bridle... which could be used westren or english really... because it had no foreband, nose band, through latch... so if you put on an engish bit than voila.;)

hi glad to see everyone has the same opinon as me, my mare is ridden english i have no noseband on it, theres no point she looks nicer without it, and i don't have to clean it.

whenever anyone esle at the yard rides her or just sees us they always ask why haven't i got one??

i say there is no purpose for one so why have one???

Why does everybody have such a bad opinion of flash nosebands? I know they are becoing a bit of trend but if your horse needs one what harm can they do in the right hands?

I personally think that if you have your horses back, teeth and tack cheecked and there is still a problem, then a flash noseband can help you re - school or school.

In an ideal world every horse would be wearing the minimal amount of tack, but it isn't and so if your horse needs a flash then so be it, please don't try and make people who ride with a flash noseband feel guilty because of it.

i have bought a new bridle.

its really nice, its brown and has tan strips on the noseband and on the noseband - very posh !!!

now i am looking for a new saddle - do any of you know any places on the internet to find a decent saddle - v.good condition second hand or new ???

it has a flash - i couldnt find one without one really that i liked.

i put it on him loosely, but do tighten it if he does evade the bit - which has been about twice in the week that i have had it and i have put it on him about ten times !!! but that was in the first 4 times that he done it !!

P.S. i agree with with princess if a horse needs it [which mine does but is getting a lot better] they should have one - it does improve if they have one, well it did with Bow. he did try and get away from it twice in the first four times but hasnt done it since so wear it loosely on him !!!

newrider.com