Fleas

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
My blooming cat has got fleas so much since I moved here, goodness knows where she's going :rolleyes: I've been using Advantage, she was last done 2 weeks ago and she's itching and got flea dirt again so they must be back. Any recommendations for good stuff? I tried the tablets twice but she threw them up both times unfortunately.

I could try, she rarely keeps a collar on for 5 mins but it's worth a shot, can you use them with spot on?
I had a quick read and you can reapply advantage weekly if necessary.
I've just combed her and not found any live ones, but she's got a scabby bit on her shoulder, normally a sure sign she's either got fleas or been fighting :rolleyes:

Diatomaceous earth. Messy but works! Failing that frontline spray from america, no longer used in the uk but only other thing that worked for our cat

Advantage was from the vets, though you don't need a prescription for it.

Diatomaceous earth is no use to treat them once they have them according to several vets and vet nurses I've asked, and it's use as a preventative is limited, much like most of the natural options. What's the difference with the frontline spray from America? I can get that easily, but it's been useless for years (the uk version)

The frontline spray aparntly is no longer sold in the uk. (My vet told me) dt earth works on my dogs, few weeksback covered them in it and few hours later was combing away dead fleas.

With out prev cat also had to wash everything and treat the house and we applied front line every 24 hours for a week so any newbies that hatches was killed.

That's interesting about frontline, if it's no longer being made in UK. I was told a couple of years ago that it had been changed. A few were using it for mites on horses and they said it stopped working. Now it's not sold. Interesting to say the least.

Online pharmacies are still showing frontline spray available, perhaps your vet meant they aren't selling it anymore, it did become far less effective, my old vet thought it was a resistance that had built up because for such a long time it was virtually the only spot on you could get and much more effective than all the over the counter stuff.

newrider.com