Flu Jabs?

neighlass

May 18, 2005
Hi

last year my yearling cob had his first coures of 3 jabs for flu/tet, one in Feb, one in March and one in September.

It has now been 12 months since his last one and i was going to ring my vet to book him in for his yearly booster, but a friend of mine has told me that i only need a flu jab as tetanus jabs should be done every 2 years! Is this correct?

Also someone else has said that they only have their horse done for tetanus not flu as the flu can make them ill. Just wondered what everyone else does with their horses before i make my mind up????? :eek:

I give mine Fluvac Innovator 6 way (3-way S. Sickness + Tet. + Flu + Rhino) and a West Nile shot every year. That is what my vet recommends, but I'm in the US.

The flu jab can have side effects, which some horses find quite bad in that they react to them and can develop a kind of allergy - but I'd talk to your vet and weigh it up carefully following their advice. Our Joe hadn't ever had his flu jab cos his last owner didn't think it was a good idea - but we've given him it and he's fine :) I think personally its a good thing - but discussion with your vet is best.

Jake's just had his first "course" of flu/tetnus, and is due another in 6 weeks, then another in 6 months. After that, he'll get both jabs every year.

Some horses do react to the flu jab badly but it's rarely life threatening (I said "rarely" please don't bombard me with lots of examples where horses died of a reaction or something!), whereas equine flu can be a killer. Personally, I'd rather take the risk. But I guess it's like the MMR vaccine for kids, but those of us who weren't vaccinated in the 80s are now at risk of catching measles, which for my age group can also be a killer.

they have the tetnus every year and the flu every two years but u dont need to worry about it the vet will know what to give your horse by his records. we just ring up and book it, dont tell the vet what the horse has had the previous year it should be all on their records anyway. :)

im pretty sure its that way round anyway :D

Last edited:
i was under the impression that flu needs to be annual but tet will last 2yrs , but that the combined jab is so little more expensive that most people have the combined jab annually

flu is each year and tet every 2, the vet will just know what to give them tho so u dont have to worry, i have the combined one!!! Not really my choice, just what the vet does, vet knows best!!!

neighlass said:
Hi

last year my yearling cob had his first coures of 3 jabs for flu/tet, one in Feb, one in March and one in September.

It has now been 12 months since his last one and i was going to ring my vet to book him in for his yearly booster, but a friend of mine has told me that i only need a flu jab as tetanus jabs should be done every 2 years! Is this correct?

Also someone else has said that they only have their horse done for tetanus not flu as the flu can make them ill. Just wondered what everyone else does with their horses before i make my mind up????? :eek:

As with any invasive procedure there can be a reaction but 9 times out of 10 a dose of equine flu is worse. Your vet will advise you but usually after the first course 'flu boosters are given anually and tetanus boosters every two years.

Are your own tetanus shots up to date? essential around horses

Thats a thought ! i think my last tetanus was about 15yrs ago!! better get it done with the neddy then :D lol

newrider.com