Flu jabs

shakari

neddy tamer
Nov 20, 2003
Yelverton,Devon
When you have a dog or cat innoculated they say you should have it done by a certain date, although they give 14 days either side as still being effective- I thought this was the same for horses but I have come a cropper today and would like someone to confirm for me if, if my horse had her jab say on the 1st january one year and then on 9th January the next year, would I then need to start a full new course and have all 3 injections done? And we are talking injections done a good few years ago now.:eek:

o.k. just had exactly that scenario. Buffy's flu/tet was due in the half term but because I didn't want to have to spend ages waiting around for vet with two bored kids in the cold weather thought I would leave it to this week.

When I phoned vets on Monday they informed me that her vaccinations were now out of date (it had to be done within 12 months) and if I wanted to compete she would have to have a complete new course. Like you I thought there was 14 days grace:eek: like with cats and dogs.

Anyway fortunately I was in the position to discuss this with another vet and the 12 month rule only applies if you are competing under Jockey Club rules or F.E.I. or in an arena which come under Jockey Club regulations. Individual riding clubs, Pony Clubs etc. can use their discretion to some extent so you need to check their requirements on dates carefully and obviously if you are intending to attend say a Pony Club camp being held on a racecourse you've got a problem.

Funny I meant to post on this the other day to warn people not to get caught out. I felt really stupid because I had deliberately missed the date:eek: !!

Cheers! Riding clubs choosing to be not so lenient today, even though it was several years ago and it was a matter of a few days- was team jumping aswell so got everyone eliminated-new riding club and first thing I have attended with them- don't think I'll be welcomed back!:D

If it was a qualifier for the BRC championships, then they have to be strict about it, as the championships will be too. But I'm surprised the whole team got eliminated - normally it's the best 3 scores to count, and there's nothing to stop you entering a team of 3 (or were you?) so they should have got a score...

Hopefully they'll realise it was a genuine mistake and welcome you back...

Ross

We had 2 teams of 3! and the other team had to pull out as one of their horses got kicked. Yes it was the qualifiers, so I suppose they do have to be strict, my horse used to bsja/bhta and it never got noticed then! It was just the way they went about it that got me, like I had intentionally screwed my horses dates up and lied about them to mess everything up.I had checked it and double checked as had several other people-my horse is 15 and has competed all her life so she has had lots of jabs so I think overlooking one that was days late is forgiveable but apparently not :(
Thats it now, NEVER again will I ride for a team in any way shape or form- was only doing it as a favour for a friend we prefer the bigger fences anyway so thats it now we'll go on our own, jump what we like and come home when we want to!!!:D

newrider.com