Fluro gear...

Wish I hadnt bothered now. YES I SHOULD BE WEARING HI VIZ. I am actually starting to borrow some, so no comments needed there. My annoyance is with drivers lecturing me about it - its none of their business about my personal choice. Maybe if they almost hit me due to no other factor than I wasnt wearing hi viz they may be able to mention it. But 9 times out 10 a close shave will be due to them speeding/being inattentive or similar.

Do you shout/lecture or get annoyed with drivers because they come too close to you, or maybe don't slow down enough when they come past you? They could claim it was none of your business how fast they were going, or how close they went to you. Which of course we know is silly, because it is your business, because it's your horse they're going to hit. It's the same for hi-viz, it is their business, because it's their car that's going to be damaged, and them that's going to be blamed if they hit your horse because they can't see it!

the balance of rights and responsibilities seems to be increasingly forgotten in society of today.

The 'right' to have 'your personal choice' does not override 'your responsibility to society'.

It is your personal choice to ride your horse on the road in today's road conditions. It is, of course, your right to do so on the public highway.

Concomitant with that right comes responsibility to your fellow road users. If you cannot accept the responsibility then I would question whether it is appropriate for you to claim the right.

The fact that the drivers told you to wear hi-viz, instead of the usual "horses shouldn't be on roads" stuff makes me think that these drivers might well have been riders themselves.
Exactly what I was thinking! I have had words with riders who haven't been wearing Hi Viz as well I'm afraid!! Although I have told them I also ride and always wear a Hi Viz. I think it also gives the impression to drivers, if you do wear one, that you are respectful of other road users too. Which I feel helps with "horses on the road" P.R!

I did ride without one once! Left the yard and forgot to put it on. I only noticed when I realised cars seemed to be slowing down a lot later then usual! So it does make a huge difference. Wear one or have something Hi Viz at least!!!

I've just watched that hi-viz link, it makes a massive differance doesn't it? I always wear a tabard, and Ernie has 4x legs wraps and noseband cover. Some people at my yard laugh at me cos we look abit YELLOW but Ive got a responsilbility to myself to be safe for me and Ernie. Cars definately do slow down more too when u are wearing it:D

I've just watched that hi-viz link, it makes a massive differance doesn't it? I always wear a tabard, and Ernie has 4x legs wraps and noseband cover. Some people at my yard laugh at me cos we look abit YELLOW but Ive got a responsilbility to myself to be safe for me and Ernie. Cars definately do slow down more too when u are wearing it:D
LOL .... You and the Ernster look like COPS!!!! Who wouldn't stop :)

In saying that ...... I am ALL for Hi Viz as I don't think anyone can be too careful. Our horses are our lives so let's keep them (and ourselves) safe!!! xx

newrider.com