fly repellant for geldings sheath?

neighlass

May 18, 2005
What is the best fly repellant to put on my geldings sheath? i have to be careful as he seems quite sensitive in that region as last summer when i put some green gel fly repellant on his sheath it swelled up and was really sore.

Last night i put some sudecream on it to deter the pesky flies but he still came in with bites and blood on it, so what the best thing to use?

I've just been reading up on this on vet websites.
Avon green skin so soft is supposed to be good but I find it doesn't really keep the midges at bay with me, but seems to work well for some people.
I'm going to try a cream for children with deet in it. You can get Buzz off in superdrug for children apparently.

Some people swear by citronella etc but if his sheath is sore it might irritate it. Why not try the skin so soft first?

Good luck, I'll let you know how I get on at my attempts to keep the flies at bay. :)

I had a mare who's teats and belly button used to get really sore from flys, I found udder gel/cream did the trick.

xx

Just a quick word of warning - the avon skin so soft in the green/blue bottle is fab but it is an oil and will attract the sun so if your horse has light or sensitive skin i would refrain from using it! :)

newrider.com