Fly repellant tags and bands

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Does anyone use them? are they worth it for the amount of extra protection they provide?

I'm mostly trying to think of something for Jess when we are riding that isn't a rug as she sweats enough already.

It's horrible when she gets eaten alive, even deosect is no match when they are really bad, once she sweats nothing seems to stop them :( I'm going to make some Shoo Flies tonight for her bridle and girth but was thinking maybe tags or bands for a little added extra might be good? I did buy material last year to make her a belly guard, as that is where they bite her the worst, so I'll be hunting for that tonight as well.

I tried cow collars for the boys last year but they just fell off and off. You're very resourceful though so could probably find a way to make the damn thing stay on!

Reactions: Jessey
A couple of people on the yard use those citronella tag things. They seem to think they make a difference but their horses still get bitten and bothered by the flies.

I use Superdrug citronella bands on me - quite tempted to tie one on Pete's bridle to see if that helps!

I used the citronella tags, didnt help at all! I now buy the lincoln roll on fly stuff which fits nicely in my pocket andstop every so often to roll on his face, ears, girth, sheath... Seems to do the trick, doesnt complety get rid but reduces them... Onlong hacks last year i covered myself in humanfly repellant also worked a treat! Need to get some more as i as eaten alive today!

Is it a tag/band? which one?
No fly wisp, my hand and spray.
Didn't find the tags did anything, if they did they simply moved the flies to places I can't get.
I ignore all those she does, so any landing behind the saddle I leave because she's not bothered.

I don't understand what you mean, vibrating how? and how does that stop mozzies under the belly?
You don't need to hit the fly, just landing by it will shift it.
It's horse flies I use for, we don't get anything else here.
You could get a sweetitch belly band secondhand for other stuff. It could be attached to girth.

You don't need to hit the fly, just landing by it will shift it.
It's horse flies I use for, we don't get anything else here.
You could get a sweetitch belly band secondhand for other stuff. It could be attached to girth.
Still don't get the vibration bit? :p the mozzies round here won't leave for a bit of vibration or they wouldn't be landing on her when we are moving. I've already got the material to make a belly guard.

Still don't get the vibration bit? :p the mozzies round here won't leave for a bit of vibration or they wouldn't be landing on her when we are moving. I've already got the material to make a belly guard.
Unless they have good eyesight or hearing then. :D I can flick at flies and miss and they are gone. Assumed it made the muscle do something.

Friend uses sun gel. They stick to it and die.

Unless they have good eyesight or hearing then. :D I can flick at flies and miss and they are gone. Assumed it made the muscle do something.
Normal flies you waft and they go, the mozzies latch on to drink and won't let go until you swipe them, so need to prevent them landing. I might try the hedgewitch spray as that's meant to stop them seeing the horse, not just one that kills on contact like deosect etc.

newrider.com