Fly Rug Recommendations (for ned with long mane)

larri

Luso Loopy!
Sep 10, 2001
West Essex / Herts border uk
Little Luso Safi has had what looks like a nasty reaction to fly bites and so we are looking at getting a fly rug to help stop the little blighters. Liberal applications of Fly spray just aren't doing it this year :(

Her mane (which isn't the best anyway) suffers under most full necked turnout rugs, so I wondered if anyone with a long haired beastie could recommend a fly rug that isn't going to rub whats left into oblivion

All suggestions gratefully received :D

Boett is best. Expensive at first, but they last and cos there are no fly bites the pony doesn't rub, so they last longer. My highlands mane is growing inside the Boett - I have now got enough to plait it under the rug!!!!

I have the rambo sweet itch hoody and it has a lining where the mane is and it actually has made my mare's mane really soft! The problem with the hoody is keeping the ear holes in place. They do give you a free face mask with it and you are supposed to use it to keep them in place but I think it's horrid and my mare doesn't need it. So her ears always pop out but he hood just sits behind the ears and doesn't get in the way or anything.

I brought a Mark Todd Combo fly rug, it has been a god send for my two, both have long manes and they are still good, where Bo had rubbed part of his out while on box rest it has acctually started growning out again, even with the rug on 24/7 (his mane is below the bottom of his neck). They also have great coverage to keep the flys off.

newrider.com