Fly rugs for a rug trasher

shikras mum

Apr 3, 2008
Co Durham
I'm looking to get Harry a fly rug in the hope it'll make him a bit more comfortable with the flys this year

My problem is Harry likes to destroy rugs. During the winter we usually get through anywhere between 4 and 8 rugs. He destroys them so badly they are usually beyond repair, diy air conditioning to chest and bottom

all the fly rugs i've seen look like very light fine mesh and probably wouldnt last him a day

Anyone have any suggestions for a heavy duty fly rug that i might get more than a couple of weeks wear out of

Thanks in advance

I am trying a Rhinegold fly rug, its last years but was the only one I could find that did not have a neck attached, ( you get one but its detachable)

Its cheap also in case the rug wrecker kills it!;)

Its 22.99 or 18.99 on Ebay.

I've seen that the PE ones are made of a different material this year so they might last a little longer.

You mention that your horse is a rug trasher but how are the rugs trashed ?
If it's on barbed wire fencing, maybe you should look at addressing that problem (leccy fence for example) before you see your savings disappear in rugs (I was a bit :eek: at the thought of buying 8 rugs for one winter !)

Ditto above but we had a rambo one last summer (a sweet itch one though made of 1000D whateerveritis) but that survived a VERY itchy pony and lots of trees and barbed wire - I still had to patch it, and in the end make a new tail piece, but survived well :)

yes unfortunately we have barbed wire and theres not much I can do about it. My field is about 4 acres split into 2 and backs onto a housing estate, the last time I used electric fence tape someone stole my energiser :mad:

Even if he's in my small paddock though he still manages to trash the rugs and no barbed wire there, just bushes.

My others have never had a problem but Harry seems to do it for fun, I remember taking OH too see Harry in his lovely brand new rug only to find it in 3 pieces in the middle of the field :eek:

Will have a look at the rambo ones though, thanks all

My friend has a Weatherbeeta Dura-Mesh fly rug and that's lasted well, it's tougher material than the normal mesh but still has satin lined shoulders and chest to help stop rubbing. She loves her rug

newrider.com