Fly rugs

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm getting fed up trying to find a fly rugs that works for Jess, she gets really bothered by the bugs so really does need one 24/7 in summer but none that I've brought the last few years seem to fit/sit nicely :(

She's short and stocky with quite a high wither, all her winter rugs are amigo, masta and weatherbeeta as I find they fit her best. Shires, rhinegold etc. always seem too narrow in the chest for her.

Past try's;
Amigo bug rug which slipped/twisted constantly and the neck slipped down constantly
Master zing which is okay but twists a bit
Amigo bugbuster, it looked nice to start but it constantly pulled back and eventually rubbed under her neck/gullet.
Weatherbeeta ripshield plus, it sat really nicely, didn't shift but rubbed badly on top of her withers (I think the reason this one worked so well was it is thicker, stiff fabric. Sadly its also the reason it rubbed badly)
Bucas (zebra one) but the belly bit was really tight on her.
Weatherbeeta essential combo which after a week of use is slipping back and the neck is huge and slips down

I don't mind spending the money on a good one, but am bored of spending it on ones that are just useless :rolleyes: I would prefer belly coverage and it needs to be combo or have a neck with it and a decent tail flap, which ones do you like? Do the ones that have the waterproof/lightweight strip down the back sit better?

Last edited:
My friend Suzi's 15.1 very very wide cob wore a Bucas comfortably even when she was immense. I'm surprised that the belly was tight - Bucas were definitely the best we used for Bella.

My friend Suzi's 15.1 very very wide cob wore a Bucas comfortably even when she was immense. I'm surprised that the belly was tight - Bucas were definitely the best we used for Bella.
Yeah it was the one that has elastic but no adjustment and was almost girth snug so felt it might make her tender after a while, she is very broad through her rib cage

Jack has the Weatherbeeta Rip Shield plus. Managed to get it in a sale last year and am really impressed with it's sturdiness. I thought he would be sweaty in it but we had those few stupidly hot days and he remained fine underneath. I haven't got one for Gracie yet. She is younger and may not get quite so bothered by flies. Time will tell. I've bought he a fly mask already, although she hasn't won it yet.

Could you not sew a fluffy padded wither pad in to your Weatherbeeta if that would help?

Reactions: Jessey
Jack has the Weatherbeeta Rip Shield plus. Managed to get it in a sale last year and am really impressed with it's sturdiness. I thought he would be sweaty in it but we had those few stupidly hot days and he remained fine underneath. I haven't got one for Gracie yet. She is younger and may not get quite so bothered by flies. Time will tell. I've bought he a fly mask already, although she hasn't won it yet.

Could you not sew a fluffy padded wither pad in to your Weatherbeeta if that would help?
I was just debating fleece or silk sewn into the wither, perhaps that's the best answer, other than the rubbing it was def the best of the bunch

Think it's equitheme ( definatly equi something:D) that we bought for our sweetitch pony last year, it's similar in style to a Boett. We have a variety of makes however the equitheme really had good coverage and the price was reasonable. x

What about a sweet itch rug. I brought a couple of fly sheets cheap at the end of last season. One was a countrywide kadence range combo fly rug. The kadence range that countrywide do is cut too narrow on the chest. Its the same with all there rugs though. I think the neck price a is a little tight as well.
The other was a shires combo sweetitch rug. Not because mine has sweetitch, it was just cheap due to end of season. Its only been on a couple of weeks but i have to say i quite like it. It has a long tail flap. Covers underneath. Hasn't slipped down the neck. Only drawback is it is supposed to be over the ears but if the horses rub it comes off the ears but not down the neck so the neck is protected from midges still in the evening.
I was at someone's yard today and funny enough at least two of there horses were wearing sweetitch rugs. Not because they have sweetitch either. They looked like shires ones.
Piccy of chunky when i tried it on.
IMG_20170418_193432.jpg

What about a sweet itch rug. I brought a couple of fly sheets cheap at the end of last season. One was a countrywide kadence range combo fly rug. The kadence range that countrywide do is cut too narrow on the chest. Its the same with all there rugs though. I think the neck price a is a little tight as well.
The other was a shires combo sweetitch rug. Not because mine has sweetitch, it was just cheap due to end of season. Its only been on a couple of weeks but i have to say i quite like it. It has a long tail flap. Covers underneath. Hasn't slipped down the neck. Only drawback is it is supposed to be over the ears but if the horses rub it comes off the ears but not down the neck so the neck is protected from midges still in the evening.
I was at someone's yard today and funny enough at least two of there horses were wearing sweetitch rugs. Not because they have sweetitch either. They looked like shires ones.
Piccy of chunky when i tried it on.
View attachment 86137
Do you find the shires one has plenty of adjustment at the belly? I had one with a similar belly flap before and found it didn't adjust short enough which meant it was hanging lower than I felt comfortable with, I worry about feet getting in there when she rolls o_O

newrider.com