Fly spray recipes????

Fizzy's mum

Sep 12, 2007
Bath
:confused: I have been looking on Google for some recipes to make my own potions and just wondered....

Some of them contain Meth Spirits.... Is this safe for use on horses? Sounds like it would irritate the skin...

Has anyone got any good tried and tested recipes that DONT contain it?

Also, any recomendations for "willy" variations? Apparantely, according to previous owner he just stands in field with it hanging out, so gets bitten! (Tart!!).

Waiting for your advice with my cauldron!!

Lucy

My friend uses diluted Avon Skin so Soft (designed for humans) in a spray. I believe it contains citronella? Seems to work anyway. I can't remember what quantities though - will ask her at weekend if you like? :)

I have to recommend Coopers Fly Lotion. I know that at £30 a bottle it isnt cheap. But when I see my horse covered from head to tail in insects and throwing a tantrum then I cover him in the lotion. After putting the Lotion on not one beastie was anywhere near him. And I had a happier horse. Well worth the £30 IMHO. And it goes a lot further than you would think. Making it economical. :cool:

to be fair don't think i'd like using meths on my horses. i make my own and it contains white wine vinegar, garlic (lots of it), citronella (if you can get it still), tea tree oil and i think that's it.

Yes, the meth did repel me :)D), what quantities did you use? Got 2 small bottle of Citronella from chemists.... some recipes say strong cold tea? I just need the amounts of each! At this rate he will smell like a marinade on legs!!

I use half and half of very strong black tea (horse is bay) and vinegar.

To that I add whatever citronella oil, a dash or baby oil and a dash of washing up liquid.

Don't ask me why I added the washing up liquid and baby oil! I read a recipe on here last year that included it, when I make my next batch I won't bother with it.

The oil helps with the midges,
You can keep midges from biting by coating mane and tail with oil, eg baby oil,
but leaves them messy and greasy.
Equine America do a really good one.
it is not called fly spray but " coat conditioner " this is how they get round the fact that they still add citronella.
smells lovely, good enough to get coated with and still go into work!

My friend uses 1/3 Avon Skin So Soft, 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 water - sometimes adding few drops Eucalyptus oil is she has any but that isn't essential :)

I use this recipe. Have done for few years now - it works its cheap and never had any problems

15ml Cintronella
4tbsp Vinegar
1tbsp Washing up liquid
2tbsp Methalated Spirits
1/2 pint strong tea
Make up to 2 litres with water.

The meths is used in such a minute quantity (one small spoonful diluted in two litres of water) that it does absolutely no harm whatsoever.

I have been using exactly the same recipe as Nookster for five years on my horse without any adverse effects whatsoever and it has saved me fortunes.

Don't ask me why I added the washing up liquid and baby oil! I read a recipe on here last year that included it, when I make my next batch I won't bother with it.

I make my own - essentials oils of citronella, tea-tree, neem, eucalyptus and vinegar, I always add a few drops of wahing-up liquid.

It acts as a surfactant, which allowing the oils to disperse more easily in the fluid and so offers a better coverage when spraying. If you don't add it the surface tension of the oils is too great.

I've used the concoction described by Nookster (above) for a few years but it doesnt worjk on my current horse (suppose that different ones work on different horses)
Am currently trying the one kindly put elsewhere on this forum some time ago;
equal quantities Avon SSS (green bottle) mouthwash and cider vinegar.
So far so good and doesnt leave hair sticky like some other vinegar mixes....

newrider.com