Fly spray that actually works?

Frog

May 10, 2009
My horse and I enjoy hacking but the fly situation is getting ridiculous! My poor horse is covered in giant horseflies as soon as we hit grass (I try my best to swot them but they always out number me :D)

So, any suggestions for an effective fly spray? I wouldnt normally bother with it, but I feel so sorry for my horse!

Thanks

The only thing that I have found really effective is a human insect repellent called "Jungle formula" - i'm not sure where my mum buys it but there's loads of links on google. It is intended for humans which is what we used to use it for but now we put it on the horses too:D

Thanks guys, it never crossed my mind to use products intended for humans, I have tried so many expensive horsie brands and have yet to find one that works!

Will now be off to buy some human fly repellant!! :D:D

I have found naf deet in the black bottle to be the best. Deet is what is in lots of human repellants. I know its nice to be natural but when it comes to flies especially horse flies I reckon nice strong chemicals are the only thing that works!

I use the avon moisturising spray, and it does work pretty well, but like most things it seems to wear off after a while. If its a problem while riding and horse is sweating, you could try feeding garlic as a supplement. I tried this but horse refuses to eat it :rolleyes:

newrider.com