Fly Spray

polly88

Jun 5, 2012
cornwall
So as most of you have probably realised the flies are RIDICULOUS currently! Was just wondering what fly spray people use and why?
Does anyone make there own and if so where did they get the recipe?
Lastly what fly spray have you tried and hated.

To answer my own question I have one in a clear bottle not sure the name it stinks but doesn't seem to be too bad. Would like a better one though.

I find a fly rug most effective. However, if you don't have one, then I have used Robinson's own fly spray with some effect. I made my own with citronella oil one year, but not sure if it actually did anything bar smell nice!lol
I have a Lincoln one atm. I had a yellow bottled one - but can't for the life of me remember the name.................that was quite good too.

We make our own, Citronella Oil (which is widely available at B&Q or Adsa's, it's the oil you use in outdoor flames) and water, mixed 25 c to 75 water.

Found it works with my guys and we all spray ourselves too and definately works..

Some people add tea, mint, or garlic, but we don't bother.

Last edited:
I make my own, using

Dettol
Citronella
a drop of washing up liquid
Cold tea
Water

Need to make some more just haven't got round to it yet.

At the minute I have the Lincoln one and can honestly say it is useless.. I put some on myself today as I was being eaten alive and ended up with loads more of them little black flies on me than before using it!

Think I'll go back to making my own!

using fly rug while they are out i was more meaning while being ridden! sounds like loads of people are struggling. We only seem to have horse flies at the moment and they are a lot worse hacking maybe i will take this into consideration and do more schooling~

Leovet Powerphaser is the best I have found - and early early morning riding. The biting flies are out about half seven, so last year we left the yard at half five. Have been lazier this year and we leave at 6.15am, but it is much nicer. Couldn't contemplate riding later than that this last week - just been so hot!!

Did anyone get the mist yesterday afternoon about 5 it was AMAZING! No flies and it was cool (i could wear more than a strappy top!) We went for a round the block but it was amazing L seemed appreciative as well cool weather and lack of flies and that he wasn't getting bugged every thirty seconds though he doesn't wafted them off like most he just stands there and i waft them for him! That ride on fly rug looks amazing I might have to invest in one one day. Shame it won't fit both!

The best one I've found so far (I've tried many different brands including home made) is Gold Label Flygon (clear bottle, white liquid) for Belle and Avon SSS for myself, I also rub the Avon SSS onto Belle's fly fringe when we hack but as it's an oil be careful if you burn easily in the sun as it will fry your skin.

I use the NET-TEX one - it is excellent. I spray it on the horses and doctor has just advised me to spray it on me too lol (I caught lymes disease a few weeks ago) It lasts all day long as well.

Leovet Powerphaser is the best I have found - and early early morning riding. The biting flies are out about half seven, so last year we left the yard at half five. Have been lazier this year and we leave at 6.15am, but it is much nicer. Couldn't contemplate riding later than that this last week - just been so hot!!

I will be back joining you again (in spirit) this week sjp - Kids are off school and hubby is working long hours but if i go up in the evenning, after 7pm there are too many flies/bugs and i have lost inclination hoping to start going up there for 5.30/6am so i can be home by 7.30/8am latest for OH to go to work.

I use the Red Horse Products "Red Zone Super". No DEET, but uses human grade Citridol & Saltidin(?).

It really seems to work. Horse flies swoon as soon as they come into range. So far, I've never seen Josh's eyes so clear of flies at this time of year. Normally I'd have a fly fringe on by now. Also, I don't react to it, like DEET based ones. So far , so good....

I found the Nettex Advanced has worked the best for my guys so far.

I used to make my own which was rather effective but Nettex is much more convenient :giggle:

I found the Phaser one rather poor compared to the price, but my friend who is 25 miles away nearer a canal so gets more and different midges found it really good.

I found the Nettex Advanced has worked the best for my guys so far.

I used to make my own which was rather effective but Nettex is much more convenient :giggle:

I found the Phaser one rather poor compared to the price, but my friend who is 25 miles away nearer a canal so gets more and different midges found it really good.

I foud the power phaser one didn't work well either for the price, although the nettex one does for us too.

I make my own based on reading lots of peoples' different ideas. I tend to make really strong tea, maybe 8-10 tea bags to 1 pint and then shove in some citronella oil and sometimes tea tree and/or eucalyptus. It does work to a degree I guess but like any fly spray it doesn't last forever.

It comes with a health warning if you have a grey though as I bet it stains!

newrider.com