Shannon_Clover

Mar 16, 2005
Ireland
www.geriburlesque
IM000283-1.jpg

Here are the pics:
IM000289.jpg

IM000288.jpg

She be 2 weeks old this Sat. Outside with mom yesterday and overnight, we couldnt catch them. Couldnt blame them being indoor all winter. :eek:

IM000300.jpg

that looks nasty poor foal :eek:

i hope you werent planning on big things if you were going to show it- it will probably get capped hocks when it has healed :(

what happened did it get through the fence?

Here the link for the first post explaining about the accident:
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140342

What does capped hocks mean? And what does it look like?

She was galloping around with mom in the field yest so it doesnt seem to affect her movement.

Will it be scarred, I really hope it will heal very well and hair grow back so that you wouldnt know she had been injuried as a newborn.

You'd be amazed at just how well they can heal up.

Poor little mite.

Here the link for the first post explaining about the accident:
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140342

What does capped hocks mean? And what does it look like?

She was galloping around with mom in the field yest so it doesnt seem to affect her movement.

Will it be scarred, I really hope it will heal very well and hair grow back so that you wouldnt know she had been injuried as a newborn.

if she does get it (theres no saying she will, and i hope she doesnt) then it is just a cosmetic thing it just looks puffy and swollen and doesnt usually make them lame etc

google it- i bet loads of articles come up about it.

They are out since yesterday.
And we had two different vets seen her.
And both say to wash/dab gently clean, spray it and leave it open ie not covered in bandage.
Hope that is normal vet advice for such injury like that?

Yes I would think they need to be open wounds, my mare had one similar, they look so much worse then they are, probably sore. If you bandage it when you take it off it will definatley take any heeling off with it. It will need air, oh poor thing, try not to worry!

bless it, i am sure it will heal fine, there is different types of creams and lotions you can get to put on the wound once healled to promote the hair to grow back the original colour rather than white. i use them on my gelding as he is always getting kicked.

Oh no! The whitis/ yellow stuff in the centre of the worst wound on my filly leg, we thought it is infection and I have been washing it off almost every evening!!! :eek:
Oh horror.
I should not have done that.
i will leave it alone tonight.
And take a pic as well and post to confirm if its pus or new tissue/muscle.
It is also growing over a hole in the wound and we thought we must burst to keep that hole clean from infection and help it to close by itself. :eek:

P4170051.jpg

I read on another thread that this soft membrane is new tissue or muscle growing and we thought it pus and dab/wash it off.

Please help, is this true?

Last edited:
newrider.com