Foal watch

so about tea time yesterday Lyra was literally dripping colostrum so I was being extra vigilant. I checked her at 10.30pm and all was well, no imminent signs of anything so went off to bed. An hour later I heard the other ponies in neighbouring fields galloping about - who knows what they know but last year, every one had a hoolie right before a mare foaled so remembering this I got up again. When I went out to check her she was just the same but as I stood and watched her she did a very green and sloppy poo. I decided to stay up with her a while and went in to get a hot drink and when I came back she was in the exact same spot in the field that she foaled last year and was restless. Her waters broke literally 30 seconds later and she lay down and the bag appeared
foal1_zpsyqg4mdtu.jpg

within 2 minutes foalie was out but she didnt get up as quickly as Id like and the bag was still intact so I burst it and cleared the airways
foal2_zpsopqltpij.jpg

foal3_zpsev8ewpfw.jpg

and this morning all dried out!
foal5_zpsvwdjy9gi.jpg

It really was a textbook foaling, she cleansed easily about an hour later and I am just so thrilled and relieved!! Pretty sure its a colt but going to double check this morning! It was 11.40pm when I first went out and he was on the ground by 11.56pm, it just shows how quick they go.

Oh WOW, thanks for sharing the pics..he/she is gorgeous and mum looks well too. I am so pleased it all went so well and you where there when it happened..:D

Reactions: CharliesAngel
newrider.com