Following on from cushings threads...

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
I queried this in October with Vet, the answer I got was if you want her testing we can do... I was kind of seeking an opinion as to whether this is likely to be the start of cushings, or is it just the way her coat grows.

Any opinions would be welcome, likely she has had lami in past but not sure - overwieght 12hh welshy. Its only her mane and withers at the moment.

22012010120.jpg

22012010124.jpg

22012010119.jpg

Last edited:
Thats very much how Lucys was... also on her back legs. She was very 'wavy' rather than 'curly'.... I didn't go the drug root, as she was such a lammi pony anyway and 23 I managed her coat with a her called 'Vitex Agnus Castus' from Natural horse supplies. It worked wonders and is as cheap as chips. The Laminitis trust did a massive piece of reseach on cushings ponies using this herb with great success (you can read the research on the lami trust website) well worth having a look at!;)

Shes not like it anywhere else,. just base of mane and withers. I thought the vet would be able to advise - Ive only ever seen a clipped out cushing pone... but all I could get out of vet was that it was my choice to get her tested but she needed notice :confused:

My shetlands coat is like that but only his back is affected, has been for the 7 years I have owned him, so far he has always shed and has a lovely summer coat.
I had him tested as he had several bouts of mild lami and was showing other classic signs.

Lc did he test positive for cushings?

I suspect she has had lami in the past, and was foot sore late last summer for about 4 weeks after casting a shoe. Her weeing hasnt changed and shes drinking the same as Ive always known her to (1/2 tub trug in 24hrs)

She is/was overweight, and its just not shifting now... Ive got the worst off, but shes still cresty and according to weigh tape is 278kg, ideally I want more off going into spring. Only being fed about 9kgs of hay a day (aprox 3.5-4lbs of hay).

She has a lovely summer coat too, but I cant remember if it was like it in the middle of summer - I know it was curly in Oct as thats when I asked the vet.

Thanks for your help :) Just to debate whether or not to get her tested :/

My shetland's coat only goes curly when wet. Otherwise is just very long. He is also well controlled with vitex from Natural Animal supplies & low sugar diet.

He had a positive test about six years ago.

mine is like that, when she sweats ups her coat is curly for ages, well it stays like that, had vet out on thursday to look at her, took blood test to have a look,haven't heard anything since, she does have alot of signs of cushing though bot belly, losing weight along the top of her back, lami last year, dips above her eyes popping out, wee alot more then she use too, she's out 24/7 so can't really record how much she is drinking, so i think it is, has yours got any of those signs? good luck

She is a typical lami pony, although didn't officially have it last year - dont know about previous history.

She is very cresty, and its just not shifting. Otherwise nothing else hence not sure whether to test or if its just the way her coat grows!

im afraid to get my tested, as im scared of the results, knowing im not going to be able to aford to treatment, as the vet explained it was alot, only other opion is to put her to sleep, she's 16 and i know she's had a good life, so im prepared for the worst :(

I dont mind getting her tested - medication isnt a necessity for good quality of life - its about correct weight management and use of supplements and clipping to maintain comfort :)

Medication only needs be used towards the end I think, and even then not necessarily :) The testing is probably expensive though :(

My shetlands test was £90, incl call out.

One of the things I noticed about him behaviour wise is that he no longer enjoyed being part of the herd, is happy with just my other shetland, but if out with all four, choose to be on his own.

I dont mind getting her tested - medication isnt a necessity for good quality of life - its about correct weight management and use of supplements and clipping to maintain comfort :)

Medication only needs be used towards the end I think, and even then not necessarily :) The testing is probably expensive though :(

Sorry don't mean to rain on your parade,but it depends on how affected the horse/pony is affected by cushings symptoms,and quite often they do need medication.Correct management is as you say very important,and can be enough in itself,but drugs are often needed alongside it to give the best quality of life and long term prognosis.

Having said all that I'm not sure that you need to worry too much just yet on the basis of her coat in those pics:)

newrider.com