Following on from eml loving her horses....

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
just the small things make such a huge difference for me.

Got a phone call from Frances' daughter asking me to come and help as Hákon has somehow managed to get his leg stuck in the fence.

So I went round and by heck, I think he's been to evening classes and done weaving. His leg had gone in at the 3rd hole down from the top then in and out of every square in the wire and finally jammed it behind the bottom wire.....well and truly wedged and tight.

So we both got up close and personal round his back end., one getting him to lift his foot while the other forced the wire back round his foot. At one point I was certain we were going to need the wire cutters.....could we find them??? could we heck, so Hákon was left to stand and wait while we went in seach. All the time Indy was "helping" and giving encouragement from the side lines and keeping Hákon's spirits up.

After a lot of huffing and puffing we managed to unweave his leg from the fence with nothing more than a grazed coronet. We both laughed, there are not many horses who would remain so calm and not many stallions who you would not have to remove from the situation.....though we do wonder how much Indy had to do with his predicament in the first place.....:unsure:

Indie obviously wanted to have a go at weaving and asked Hakon to try it first and let him know how he got on:wink:

Glad that it all ended ok, could have been awful - not sure either of mine would have stood and allowed me to sort them out.....

A few years ago I arrived at my old yard to find that all the horses had broken onto the yard......a total of 42 horses, ponies, donkeys mules all milling around. I noticed that one of the cobs had trodden on a pallet and had got his front hoof stuck........he was trying to walk but infront of him was a two foot drop, in my panic and visions of broken leg or stab wounds to his stomach i just kind of grabbed him round the neck and in stood in front of him to stop him moving.....some of the other horses etc came round ,two of them were pretty darn horrible, kickers and biters.....but it was like they all knew something was wrong and while i waited 10minutes in tears for someone to arrive the horses we nuzzling the one who was stuck and were completely quiet..... it was really eery......as soon as the cob was freed they all became a nightmare bickering and arguing amongst themselves........

Good grief! From the tone of your post I am sure you kept calm and "Ho hum" about the whole thing, which would have helped him of course. But good grief all the same!

newrider.com