Following on from horse routine thread

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Do you have a work routine? Xx on xx day? Or lunge xx times.

I must admit I did have Monday we hack this way, Tuesday its that way, Wednesday lunge. I did this all summer as it appeared to settle her a bit with her hacking confidence. She knew where we were going.
Gradually I have mixed the hacking up, I ride past the home turning and she is happy about it. We include "bin days" now we have the shoulder in in place.
Though I do find it funny that the books on how to ride suggest shoulder in if you think your horse will be scared of something. That only works if they haven't seen it before you and locked the neck on! In that case I haven't got shoulder in at all. She likes to look as oppose to not look.

With my job I couldn't possibly have a work routine for mine! Annie gets ridden whenever I can find the time or energy. If we've been at a show all day and I finish on the yard at 8pm of course I'm not going to have the energy to ride. If it's been a quiet day and the yard's done by 6pm I will of course work her. Mouse is ridden mostly by his little rider so now she's back at school that is weekends only and the occasional quick session on Weds afternoon before she rushes off for her RS lesson on her own pony. I sometimes ride him on my weekly day off but normally we go out for walks instead - he likes walks!

My only work routine for madam atm is trying to ensure I ride her every day. Following on from her last check up the vet suggested we are capable of doing more (yaye!) and I am loving the fact we can, so really trying to keep up daily rides. I do love riding in a morning which is much more feasible now she is out more or less 24/7 - no waiting for stiff legs to loosen from standing in! But, for example today, it hasn't been possible as I've been co-ordinaring OH's work and we have an electrician working on the back field making loud random noises - which although good for de-spooking, I may as well wait until he's gone and I can relax later when it's quieter and my concentration will be unhindered.
I am overall just glad to be able to work her - doesn't matter when really!

I ride ale as much as I can in between injuries. Today he came in with a bite on his back so few days off relaxing now haha.

He gets worked about 4/5 times a week now but fairly gentle stuff still, 20mins in the school or a 45 min hack.

This year we've pretty much just been hacking, getting fit for our big ride, so we would do 4 days a week, normally 2 hours in the week after the clocks changed and the weekends ranged from 4-6 hours. I like to try and vary our routes but riding the distance we kind of ran out of places to go.

This winter we will still hack and my plan, as long as the schooling paddock doesn't get totally messed up I will lunge and school once each per week plus 3 hacks as have done a deal at work to finish early on Wednesdays :)

When schooling I normally warm up, and expect clean balanced transitions, then work on which ever manoeuvre (or multiple) I've planned to practise that day, if she gets it right first time I walk her out and get off, if not we keep going at least until I get some try from her.

I have 8 horses to ride so there is no routine! Say I ride 5 Monday I will make the remaining 3 my priority on the Tues before doing doing any others so that they get a minimum of every other day riding! Feeling poorly today so have 5 to ride tomorrow as just dont have the energy to get up on anything else today :(

Did some jumping today as we haven't all summer, she tends to carry a little excess and I dont want to overload joints etc.
We have gone up a girth hole, makes a huge difference to where I can get my leg.

Ah, but I suspect one is deep girth and one isn't. I am in a 28" I think dressage straps. She takes the same rugs as the tbs-big bum.
Lady on the yard popped a dressage saddle on mine today that was too wide for hers.
We both laughed as it just perched on top, and looked like it would tip you off the back as the angle was about 40 degrees.
I said lovely it fits! ;)

Jess has either a 22 or 26 on her dressage saddle, I noticed when I changed to another dressage saddle it had much shorter billets, they all vary so much

Hehe june is a 38 non elasticated and womble is a 40 elasticated.

I try to fit in round whats going on, people are still out competing so if I plan to school but they schooling I will hack instead and if I knoww they have gone out round the tracks I will go to the field to school etc.

I have mixed days for the ponies,they are ridden on whatever my days off are from the shop. 2 days a week I ride 3 ponies each day. Jack and Ross have a faster work day and then a trotting day,always an hour to 2 hours depending where we go. Tilly and Toffee I ride once a week each but I lead one off the other so they both get 2 lots of exercise. They are brilliant to ride and lead and we do trotting and cantering without issue and opening gates is easy with them too.
Don't have set days for Neala,she has 2 longer walks on my days off and then another 2-3 a week then the days we don't walk we just do some basic groundwork on the yard and have pamper days [emoji173]

Since starting work I've not ridden either of my horses. I really should do but Gems has the abscess on her tail and I was poorly last weekend. I will ride this weekend though. I'd love to try riding in the evenings but I just don't have the time.

Before then, my hacking out with D was the same each day to get into the woods, but then I mixed it up a bit and took diff routes etc but all within the same section (I only take her round half the woods as she's not old and mature enough to go further yet IMO) so she will see some paths she does recognise, but it won't be in the same order as the time before that, and she may not see a path for a few days. But I've been using the same path in and out though as that tends to be the scariest part for her. Next year I'll start going the other ways into the woods with friends.

No routine. I ride 4 or 5 time a week, when I can, and what I feel like doing! We hack once a week and mainly school with a bit of pole work and jumping.

Today I played around on my new pad for half hour, that's because I had a great idea to wash the pad yesterday and it was still wet! Well it rained last night didn't it. :rolleyes:

So we did flatwork and trotting over some patterned scary poles.

newrider.com