Following on from my wwyd post

So a month ago I asked what you would do if you were me and your landlord had just doubled your rent to £30 a week per horse. At first I agreed with all of you that said stay and so that was decision made.

However, pretty much everyone around me has made me change my mind.

Now on paper the yard is fab, mains electric and water floodlit school only me on the yard.

However, the school needs redoing, really badly needs redoing. Not likely to happen anytime soon YO had said as much.

Fields are fertilised by me, not a problem as the rent was so cheap. Fencing is also fixed by me, again not a problem as it was so cheap. Basically all maintenance is done by me.

The likelihood of that changing is nil! I've been asking him for over two years to fix the electric fencing so it works properly off the mains. It only got done yesterday and still not sending much voltage out!

So I've had a look about, and found some land, first field I can move into rent free until he sells it ( he's got a very unrealistic price range in his head so not likely to be any time soon and it's not currently on the market) all I have to do is keep it tidy.

There is a bit of land directly next door to that which will come available in a few months and all he wants is £20 a week for around 6 acres in total. Plenty for me. Plus a very sheltered bit for them for the winter.

No facilities but he will help me get water put on and the money I'm saving in livery I will be saving up to get a container and genny with lights for the winter. The sharers are willing to keep their livery at the £20 a week mark for a year or 18 months to enable us to save money quicker and get these things quicker and be set for winter.

The bloke I will rent from is pretty much happy for us to do what we like with the place!

So I think I may be telling them both today I want their land :).

I should have the other bit for around 6 months at least which is great!

The hacking is 100 times better over here as is the quality of grass I will finally have ponies that don't need tonnes of feeding!!

Ok so I will miss the school but the ground is that good even in the winter that I will still be able to ride, but even if I can't ride in the school with the hacking I never have to touch a road again if I don't want so on will go the head torches and we can hack out :D

I think it's time, at least with just a field I know what I'm getting. Not a pretty to look at yard from the road with a lot of blemishes and work needing doing to it. Any work that needs doing on the field will be my own doing!

It's nice to be your own 'boss.' Sounds like a good deal! Hacking with head torches sounds terrifying, but I am a wuss about the dark (I've watched too many zombie films and have an overactive imagination!)

It's a scary move, I've been where I am for 8 years but round here for £5 a week more I could get mine all on part livery with a yard that's well maintained etc. It just isn't worth the increase to me anymore. There are arenas all around in the new village I could hire and still end up saving money with the increase at this place.

The hacking is a major factor for me, it's fantastic over there where I am now I head straight out onto a 60mph road, I can't take my littleun for a stroll up the road on her pony because it's far too dangerous. This new field is on a drove which is a dead end, I'm at the end of it almost and it leads up onto a river bank I can take her out for a walk with her pony and know I can concentrate on them and not the traffic.

The money side of it is huge too, we may be looking at saving for a house soon and that won't happen with such an increase at current yard.

newrider.com