following on from the 'knowing when its time'

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Sorry but need to go thru it again. Please bear with me, this is long....

My almost ten year old great dane is by far the worse off. She has been incontinent now for a year and i often have to clean it off her as she lies in it. She falls over when she squats and she needs help to get up from lying down. She hasn't been able to 'sit' for a long time. She just doesnt have the muscle control for it. She often struggles to lie down as she can't do a controlled lowering down, she kind of goes down so far then collapses. For her i am feeling i would be at peace with the decision to pts.

Now my wee lady, my wee Scamp. She is 16 but physically she is slightly delicate, not quite frail, but can often appear sprightly. She will do a little playful run occasionally when you get her lead out for a walk or just call her when she has spotted you (she is deaf). She does occasionally poo the bed but i wonder if it is because the other dog does this constantly and she must smell this and maybe this is why she does it?? i dont feel she is actually incontinent, more confused. She eats and still mooches for food. My biggest worry with her is she likes to go outside for peace from the kids, as if she has had enough (i know the feeling) with the snow on the way i worry she'll not get the peace she needs. If it were only her id put her bed thru in my bedroom so she'd get peace there, but i have no room for a single mattress in there which is what my dane sleeps on.

So i now have the dilema. Do i have both pts together, knowing that at 16 my little girl doesnt have long anyway and give her a dignified end OR just have my dane pts and see how my wee girl goes knowing i may have to do it quite soon after. I dont think she would pine so much for the dane, she has always been a people dog, my dog really, she is a loyal little soul.

Sorry i know i am the only one who can decide but it helps to hear what other peoples opinions are. When we go out for our little walks i look at them and think they aren't ready and neither am i. But when im cleaning up Patsys bed for the 4th time that day and lifting her out the poo im in a different frame of mind. And to add to the agony i now have a neighbour who has taken to shaking her head at Patsy lying in the garden because she barks when she goes past with her dog. Honestly if only the boot was on the other foot.

Anyway here they are on their walk yesterday. My lovely ladies.

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
I had my first GSD pts when he did his first poo in the house. I know that this was the right time for him. He had a degenerative disease and I knew it was only a matter of time and I wanted to let him go with dignity. He had issues with his back legs and I was worried that he would just not be able to get up one day. I could not bear that. I have had another GSD pts since then too.

Again, she could have gone on longer but I decided it was time. My vet said to me that I made the right decision (afterwards). It is down to quality of life. If they can still enjoy walks and eat well, then great because that really is all they do. If they cant or dont, then I would certainly consider pts. I did wonder at the time if I did the right thing but I think it was just guilt. Looking back, years later I know it was time.

I'm so sorry that you have to make this decision. You clearly adore your animals and I know that you will know when the time has come.

I love your video. They are lovely dogs

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
I have to say, I think you have made the right decision about your great dane, she looks like she's struggling a bit, not sure about Lady, but I'm sure when the times come you'll know..
Having them pts sleep together will be like a double wammy, and you'll have twice the heartache.. Pts one of them allows you to seek comfort in the remaining one, and gives you time to heal, enough to let your other best friend go.. I don't think Lady is quite ready yet, she may even be waiting for your other girl to go, and want to be there for you..
It's a toughie, but I think that's probably the way to do it:frown:
Sending you hugs ((((((()))))) I hate decisions like these..

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Could hardly bear to watch it TBH - two lovely old ladies and obviously very loved. I'm just thinking maybe if you let the great dane go now - it is possible that you might see a small improvement in Lady - could be she is doing some copying behaviour with the pooing etc.? And as you also said, at least you can give her a quiet area to escape the little ones?

So sorry - terrible position to be in - really feel for you.:twins:

Vicki100

Jun 12, 2009
West Mids
Awww lovley video MM, bless them they are lovley :happy:

Sounds strange but i really like you accent :giggle:

I personally would PTS together, its hearbreaking to watch a dog pine for it friend :cry:

Its very hard to know when, i can see why its so hard for you they do look happy on there little walk.

How are they today MM??

*Hugs* xx

Zingy

Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
Gorgeous doglets :)

Can't tell much from the video, but the way I always look at this is to say, will things improve? Are they able to now live a comfortable life and be a dog doing dog things? Do they need assistance for basic, everyday things (so what happens if there's noone there - are they unable to get up)? Is there a risk of them being stuck somewhere when there's noone about (so intermittent getting up problems or something)? Are they distressed or in pain?

If I can honestly say from that that there's not an issue, they stay. If there is, they go. They know nothing about it - it doesn't hurt and they don't get distressed about it. I refuse to spend time debating whether it's the right time or not - if I'm thinking it might be, then I take it that it is and they go.

Some people would no doubt think that I pts too early, but my vets have never disagreed. They know that I do it when I have some concerns about quality of life and know that it will only deteriorate.

Only you can decide if it's right for your dogs. Though I can wholeheartedly sympathise with clearing up dane poo. My mum used to have danes and 2 of the 3 of them did that, and I remember the cleaning all too well!

Last edited:

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply.

Been really hard past couple of days. Lots of tears.

Really p'd off with my hubby. The dogs are mine, had them when we met and he has been completely scunnered at the poo for past year. Has no sympathy for her at all and is a complete bone between us. So the other day i mentioned im thinking is now the time etc and honestly the next day he was just about phoning to make the date with the vet. Cue huge fight which involved me launching a burger at him, very dignified, obviously.

I don't need any pressure from him at the moment and he just cant understand and feels im being unreasonable. He even said to me when i was in tears 'is it just the dogs you're crying about or is there something else upsetting you?'
Felt like saying 'yeah well actually im thinking about having you put to sleep too and well the kids are quite fond of you, you twat':furious:

I mean is it just me or is that a bloody stupid question? Ive had my little Scamp for 15 years, she was a rescue, a wee skin and bone nervous wreck and she has been the most loyal little soul in my lifetime. Patsy ive had since she was 7 weeks old and came to me the size of a fat cat. Do i need to justify my tears?

So for the past day or 2 i have just been spoiling my ladies, nice short walks, extra warm meals, lots of cuddles and we will see how we go. I'm not going to rush the decision. We have just had our first bit of snow, i will see how they cope with this.

Thanks again for replies, i really appreciate the support.

And Vicki are you for real?? i HATE my accent. I cringe when i hear it on videos and stuff:redface:

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
No, you dont need to justify your tears to anyone but try not to throw anything sharp or heavy at your hubby! (burgers are allowed)

Only you can decide, your girls are lovely and you've always done your best for them and am sure that you will continue to do so

Hugs x

beakysian

Mar 26, 2008
Durham, UK
Really p'd off with my hubby. The dogs are mine, had them when we met and he has been completely scunnered at the poo for past year. Has no sympathy for her at all and is a complete bone between us. So the other day i mentioned im thinking is now the time etc and honestly the next day he was just about phoning to make the date with the vet. Cue huge fight which involved me launching a burger at him, very dignified, obviously.

I don't need any pressure from him at the moment and he just cant understand and feels im being unreasonable. He even said to me when i was in tears 'is it just the dogs you're crying about or is there something else upsetting you?'
Felt like saying 'yeah well actually im thinking about having you put to sleep too and well the kids are quite fond of you, you twat':furious:

I mean is it just me or is that a bloody stupid question? Ive had my little Scamp for 15 years, she was a rescue, a wee skin and bone nervous wreck and she has been the most loyal little soul in my lifetime. Patsy ive had since she was 7 weeks old and came to me the size of a fat cat. Do i need to justify my tears?

If it was his dogs (or Xbox perhaps??) he wouldn't understand why you couldn't see his pov. But he could at least be patient for a while longer while you make your decision without feeling even more pressure. Extra ((((((hugs))))) Perhaps keep the burgers to hand for a few days.

And Vicki are you for real?? i HATE my accent. I cringe when i hear it on videos and stuff:redface:
And I'm with Vicki100 here - my favourite :D