Food recipes.

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
I see lots of people on here going on about diets, fatness thinness etc.

Someone suggested a recipe thread, so here it is.

Healthy recipes would be good I think but also traditional regional stuff i.e your fav lancashire hot pot or whatever. Also anything substantial but economical.

Really anything you have seen tried and liked, diet or other wise.

OK here are mine, healthy substantial and economical I hope

Mince beef with veg

Brown around 1/2lb mince for two or 1 lb for 4 in saucepan.
Add water to cover, plus abit.
Bring to boil and skim as nec
Add one onion if required plus around two to three brown oxo cubes
Add Potatoes and carrots according to the amount of folkes to be fed

Cook for around 20-30mins and serve with a green veg

Lamb Stew

Any old lamb bits, cooked or otherwise

Uncooked, Stew with onion for at least an hour before adding veg
Boil up with water to cover and an onion
Add Knorr lamb stock cubes (around three)

Add about 2 to three carrots a smallish amount of swede and some (a couple) of spuds. cook for further 20 mins then add one leek and let cook for further 10 minutes. Make some dumplings, add to stew and cook covered on a lowish heat for around 20 mins without lifting lid

Enjoy!

Every one will hate me for showing off this - it is tourist stuff Mexican from a holiday years ago.
Yesterday I cooked up a whole bag of dried black beans (soaked over night).
I froze most, but kept some out to eat today with
salsa (tomatoes, chili pepper and onion with a bit of salt, blitzed chunky in the food processor.) and
guacamole made from 2 avocados blitzed with an onion, again in the food processor.
I made corn tortillas but you could buy those and we had some sour cream too.

This is the limit of my Mexican cooking and we have it every month or two. Most often with pinto beans (instead of the black beans). It is vegetarian and apart from the avocados is fat free.

Last edited:
I will consult Mr T - he is the cook around here! He does a mean curry and also a very economical and filling lentil dish.

Spicy Prawn Stir fry.

Serves 2
We have this for lunch served on a bed of shredded ice berg with cherry toms - tho you could make it for an evening meal and make it more substantial by having pasta with black pepper and grated parmesan on the side.
Take a medium size of cooked peeled jumbo prawns (Sainsburys have good offers on them atm)
Half a lime
Good pinch of Cayenne pepper or chilli powder
One medium size onion
Pinch of dried corriander or fresh if you have it

Chop the onion quite finely
Heat the frying pan but don't add oil - you should not need any
Brown the onions
Add the prawns
Stir fry for 5 mins on high
Add the chilli or cayenne and lime
Add the corriander
Turn the heat down and let it have a good bubble through - if its looking dry don't worry as nobody want slimy prawns!!
You might not want the full juice from half a lime so go easy squirting it in - much easier to add than subtract!!!
Wop up the heat for another 4 to 5 mins then serve onto the salad you prepared earlier. Voila! Healthy, hot food!

Noodle soup

Here's a fantastically easy and versatile recipe which results in a healthy bowl of delicious goodness.

You need, for each partaking person:

SOUP

• about 500 ml or a pint of good stock. Stock you are proud of!
  • a serving of your favourite type of noodle. I used Udon today which are made of buckwheat, but you could use egg noodles of any thickness or rice noodles. Japanese noodles typically come bundled in individual servings, chinese egg noodles in nests. Spaghetti would also work!
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil (tastes best. Veg oil would be ok but a bit dull)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 thumb-size knob of fresh ginger
  • 1 red chili, seeded and chopped. Leave this out if you don't like heat.
  • 2 spring onions
  • green leafy veg: a fat handful of baby spinach, or a pak choi, or a bunch of spring greens. Today I used a left over bag of spinach and beetroot salad!
  • a couple of tablespoons of fresh chopped coriander.

FLAVOURINGS

I usually go either Japanese, Chinese or Thai. Here's how (again, this is all per person):

Japanese: 1 tablespoon Mirin, 1 tablespoon Japanese soy
Chinese: 1 tablespoon Chinese wine, sherry or leftover pink or white wine, 1 tablespoon Chinese soy
Thai: the juice of a lime, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon fish sauce

EXTRAS

And then you can add anything else that pleases you like extra veg or chicken breast or prawns.

HOW TO DO IT

Chop the ginger, garlic and chilli. Heat the sesame oil in a big saucepan and sizzle the ggc gently while you chop the spring onions. Toss them in. Sizzle for a minute, then put in the stock. Add the noodles and cook for the time recommended on the packet. A few minutes before the end, add the greens and flavourings (and any extras you like). Cook until the noodles and greens are tender, check the seasoning and eat.

Here is the bowl I just ate for my lunch, cooking time 10 mins. Eating time was about 20 mins which is brilliant for me as I inhale my food.

Enjoy!

YUM! That looks amazing. I've got loads of turkey stock left over from boiling up the Christmas turkey. So I'll be making this for sure.

No, not my blog - no time for blogging!!!!! Just read everyone else's!!! I made three loaves in one go (lots of bananas)...with the intention of freezing. I think its safe to say that not one of them will or did see the freezer :eek:

I love making (and eating :giggle:) risotto I use a Jamie Oliver basic risotto recipe then add whatever I want to it, a favourite is prawns and nice vine tomatoes cut in halves or quarters depending on size. Or sometimes I do chicken cut in pieces which I have gently cooked through in a pan with a little oil and yellow peppers cut up. You could steam the chicken and veg if you want to go for a slightly healthier cooking method.

This is the recipe:

Ingredients

1.1 litres organic stock, chicken, fish or vegetable as appropriate

1 small knob of butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

½ head celery, finely chopped

400 g risotto rice

2 wineglasses dry white vermouth or dry white wine

sea salt

freshly ground black pepper

1 knob of butter

90 g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

stage 1

Heat the stock. In a separate pan, heat the olive oil and butter, add the onions, garlic and celery, and fry very slowly for about 15 minutes without colouring. When the vegetables have softened, add the rice and turn up the heat.

stage 2

The rice will now begin to lightly fry, so keep stirring it. After a minute it will look slightly translucent. Add the vermouth or wine and keep stirring — it will smell fantastic. Any harsh alcohol flavours will evaporate and leave the rice with a tasty essence.

stage 3

Once the vermouth or wine has cooked into the rice, add your first ladle of hot stock and a good pinch of salt. Turn down the heat to a simmer so the rice doesn't cook too quickly on the outside. Keep adding ladlefuls of stock, stirring and almost massaging the creamy starch out of the rice, allowing each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. This will take around 15 minutes. Taste the rice — is it cooked? Carry on adding stock until the rice is soft but with a slight bite. Don't forget to check the seasoning carefully. If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked, add some boiling water.

stage 4

Remove from the heat and add the butter and Parmesan. Stir well. Place a lid on the pan and allow to sit for 2 minutes. This is the most important part of making the perfect risotto, as this is when it becomes outrageously creamy and oozy like it should be. Eat it as soon as possible, while the risotto retains its beautiful texture.

It is really delicious and lovely when you are cold and hungry, one of the good things is you can vary quantities according to how many people and add whatever you want at the stage 4 part. I don't use the celery in it and don't always use garlic. Never seem to have parmesan in so I usually leave that out and so if you want it to be lower fat or something you can just leave out the Parmesan and butter at the end if you want still tastes yummy. I use whatever white wine I have, very important to drink some as you cook too :biggrin:

newrider.com