Foot Xrays for those interested

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
So this is the 2nd round of Xrays looking for the cause of lameness and then abscesses, predominantly in Jess' left fore. Basically we found nothing much of interest other than a little change on her hoof structure, in that her heels have become a bit under run and her toes need trimming back (farrier should be here any minute :))Jan DP_Upright_Navicular_Front_7_7.jpg Jan DP_Upright_Navicular_Front_8_8.jpg Jan DP_Upright_Pedal_Front_3_3.jpg Jan DP_Upright_Pedal_Front_4_4.jpg Jan Lateromedial_Front_1_1.jpg Jan Lateromedial_Front_2_2.jpg Jan Skyline_Navicular_Front_9_9.jpg Jan Skyline_Navicular_Front_10_10.jpg Jan WB_DP_Front_5_5.jpg Jan WB_DP_Front_6_6.jpg

Will try for side by side here with a couple, lol okay, not quite side by side but I'm rushing. 1st one is july 15, 2nd jan 16Lateromedial_Front_1_1.jpg Jan Lateromedial_Front_1_1.jpg

Yes I agree they are super clear. But that's what you pay for. My vet tested out the new machine on mine, I said she is like me then likes to try new things!

You can actually see flare in one and not the other.
I was surprised by how small the navicular bone was, considering the trouble is can do.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Yeah I'm really pleased about the reduction in flare, my farrier was all confused when we saw the X-ray's as he hadn't been focusing on that as didn't feel it was the top priority, I sniggered and told him I had been in our interim trims :D
On the recent lateral view I had them put a marker on the front of the foot, you can see under it how we have much tighter growth coming down from the coronet, we have been keeping a good roll on the toe to relieve pressure on the wall so it doesn't mechanically pull away as that comes down. I'm very please to see better sole depth to, as we haven't been going out for long we have been doing more road work and my farrier thinks that could be what has helped that, as soon as I have the spare cash I am going to get some stones to lay around the water trough's to try and help by additional stimulation of the frog and sole :)
This pic was about a week ago, really shows the tighter growth :)
IMG_20160129_074546.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
It is great detail
When Andi fractured her hock years ago the detail was amazing too
You could see the progress of the little chip fusing itself.
Digital xrays certainly have made a big difference for sure from the old plates.

Reactions: Jessey
Yeah I have some digitals done 3 years ago but with an old portable machine, the difference is huge same left fore (sadly missing half the sole)
IMG_0432.JPG

Last edited:
newrider.com