Footy on the gravel...

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
We been hacking out for a few weeks now but the. Track is really gravelly and the ponies are very footy over the gravel section they are all barefoot and trimmed regular but how do I harden there hooves up..... in relation to Stormy and Shakira both 9 they are both new to hacking out, so have always been on paddocks till now.

I really don’t want to go down the shoing route?

Any ideas would be fab.

Last edited:
Make sure there's no thrush etc lurking as that can quickly compromise the hoof, applying iodine has a 2 fold action of killing nasties and hardening the hoof so I'd probably start there or if you are going to have to buy something I really like the NAF Hoof & Sole liquid (which again does both), but remember the hoofs need time to adapt to new footing, if they have only ever been on turf then the foot needs to lay down new material to cope with gravel and roads etc, in the mean time, let them pick their way over it as long as they aren't falling on their faces sore. You could also add some gravel around their water trough so they get more exposure to it on a daily basis :)

I actually have the same problem with Billy. Most of the tracks and my road are brash and he is footy on them. He picks his way sometimes tripping. Hes happy on the hard tarmac so it's just the stones.
I use some of my golden hoof sheep foot dip. Helps to kill off nasties so any thrush and bacteria and hards the hoof. I dont do it regularly enough which is why mine is footy. Also with the wet dews in the morning the feet are softened over night alot more than they were in the summer months.
You could invest in some boots. But I've read there no good on hairy cobs. So it counts me out.
I'm going to invest in one of those mats that you soak and I can add the foot dip too, so I can have it in the gateway on the floor in side my tack up area, so they have to walk over it when they come in. Billy's a bit funny with his feet so trying to get him to put his feet in the bucket to soak for a minute is impossible which is why I'm not treating him regularly. I have painted the foot dip on his soles but I really dont think the feet get soaked long enough. Certainly with the sheep any that I put through the foot bath that just walk through still have thrush a few days later. Where as the ones that walk though and let stand in for a minute or two, the thrush is killed quicker. The mats are quite expensive and I haven't seen one yet that I think will be suitable for the horse, so I've been racking my brains as to whether I have anything at home that could work.

Reactions: Native Lover
I actually have the same problem with Billy. Most of the tracks and my road are brash and he is footy on them. He picks his way sometimes tripping. Hes happy on the hard tarmac so it's just the stones.
I use some of my golden hoof sheep foot dip. Helps to kill off nasties so any thrush and bacteria and hards the hoof. I dont do it regularly enough which is why mine is footy. Also with the wet dews in the morning the feet are softened over night alot more than they were in the summer months.
You could invest in some boots. But I've read there no good on hairy cobs. So it counts me out.
I'm going to invest in one of those mats that you soak and I can add the foot dip too, so I can have it in the gateway on the floor in side my tack up area, so they have to walk over it when they come in. Billy's a bit funny with his feet so trying to get him to put his feet in the bucket to soak for a minute is impossible which is why I'm not treating him regularly. I have painted the foot dip on his soles but I really dont think the feet get soaked long enough. Certainly with the sheep any that I put through the foot bath that just walk through still have thrush a few days later. Where as the ones that walk though and let stand in for a minute or two, the thrush is killed quicker. The mats are quite expensive and I haven't seen one yet that I think will be suitable for the horse, so I've been racking my brains as to whether I have anything at home that could work.
I've used boot on hairies, they work, it's just a bit more finessing :) When I ride G (welsh D) he has boots in front.
Re the foot soak mat, I plan to make one with a tarp and old carpet, as long as it's natural fiber and hessian backed stuff and you put something under it to contain the moisture I think it will work, I had saved this pic to remind me when I get around to building it :)
Hoofbath1.jpg

newrider.com