For All The 'Modern' Friesian Haters! (Pictures)

friesianfan69 there isn't really anything bad to say about Ellie - she is nicely put together and looks true to type. Love her head, she has such a pretty face.

I cant help it I might be totally Hijacking but some people think that Porsha has friesian in her - what do you think? I know she she dalesxtb but maybe the dales was a Frisian - They are all Stunning!:D
Photo-0495_e1.jpg

:D

She is looking great, I love Friesians, they are so dramatic looking. My eye is untrained to the different types, but looking at the pics on here is interesting as the only one I've known was a heavy, leg in each corner type. He was a very bolshy, stubborn horse but absolutely stunning. What are Friesians generally like as riding horses?

I'm about to make myself highly unpopular as although I love the look of the Friesians I MUCH prefer my horses on the lighter side.

Obviously I'd never encourage breeding of horses poor in confirmation to achieve that.

I have a Friesian x (TBxQH) and she's got that beautiful look and temperament of the Friesian but without the weight. I didn't breed her, and I won't breed from her, but that doesn't mean she's not going to make me a cracking riding horse in a few years time!

Una is gorgeous btw!

Madlady, yes I read Jorrit was rejected on offspring in 2003, a year after Charlie was born! Charlie was graded 2nd premie in the foal book, perhaps others were ungraded so he was stripped of his studbook rights? I'm not really sure how it all works to be honest!

There's some gorgeous Friesians on here, i'm loving this thread!

x

Charlemagne - for a stallion to retain his breeding rights he has to pass good traits on to his foals and the foals have to get good premies as foals, yearlings and 2yo for the stallion to keep his breeding.

2nd Premie as a foal is good though, have you ever taken him to a UK grading?

FF69 she looks lovely under saddle, I did have problems with Dandea that she just does not like a snaffle bit at all - changed bits and she went completely differently.

Kirby a lot of dales do have some very old friesian breeding in them and back in the days before passports a fair bit of cross breeding went on - I always think of dales as mini friesians.

Madlady, that's interesting and would make sense, ensuring his progeny are good enough.

I've had him since a 3 year old and keep having good intentions to take him to the uk keurings, this year it just came down to cost as my husband has been made redundant. Maybe next year as I'd love to get him in the adult book.

My only concern would be he suffers from locking stifles so that's could go against him, when he's active and in ridden work you would never know, just when he's stood about eg after being stabled (and he snatches it up, more than really locking up, although that does happen from time to time). It's not affected him out showing so probably wouldn't at a grading either. I'd just have to see and not be disappointed if he wasn't graded.

x

Charlemagne it's well worth the day out, next year it will be a public grading not a closed one, at the public ones there are normally lots of facilities to warm them up ready for their classes - area to walk out and lunge etc. Even if you don't take Charlie it's a good day out and a fantastic excuse to go and drool at lots of friesians, it's nice to hear what the judges have to say as well - they can be quite harsh but I've always found them to be fair and really helpful.

BTW which shows do you go to - I'm not a million miles away from Cheshire, might have a drive out for a look next time you are at one - for the first time next year we are going to be showing ours - the babies will be going in youngstock classes at locals just for the experience :D:D

heres mine:

IMG_2163.jpg

P040908_1052-1.jpg

P200908_1506.jpg

P030508_125102.jpg

Father "QUICK" mother "LYSTER"

Father was given breeding privilages in the uk, owned by Nick Williams" in wales and mother was registered and owned by Kiestra, but STILL not able to get my mare registered as mother now dead!!! so no proof! Grrrrrr oh well I love her and thats all that matters.

Speedy x

Thank you for your opinion Rips. You are most welcome to it, i agree with u completely about her weak backend - i have mentioned it many times myself :) given that she is not yet 4 and not being ridden, it is something that should improve as she matures as muscles up.

I have to say i disagree with the rest. Una has a very good shoulder, her angulation is pretty close to perfect. Her front legs are also very good, apart from toeing out on one foot (being sorted with careful trimming), i dont know how legs can be 'too' straight lol. They are supposed to be straight!! Una's front is very nice and what the friesian standard asks for. And im not just saying that as her owner, that was the feedback from the fps judges at the keuring, and several well respected friesian breeders who've seen her.

Una carries some very valuable bloodlines, so the faults she has would not stop her being a very nice broodmare. You cant really tell what a friesian will finish up like til they're about 6 as they take a couple more years to finish filling out and muscling up :) Una should end up a very nice example of the breed - not perfect, but what horse is?? She is certainly of good enough quality to breed on from :D

I'm sorry to say I agree with RIPs, shes very pretty but shes not a good example conformation wise of any breed :eek: I do appreciate shes young, but maturing isnt going to alter her leg conformation for example, radically.

I'm used to Welsh section Ds who also dont fully mature until 6/7/8 but you can see basic bonme structure from an early age.

I'm also slightly concerned that you cite her as a very valuable broodmare despite the fact conformationally that shes not particularly well built :eek: I own a papered and GRADED trakhener mare who was a broodmare till she was 12. We brought her into work, she went lame. She wont be bred from again in case its inheritable :( She too has rare bloodlines and more importantly was graded by the TBF who are notoriously hard on horses.

Father "QUICK" mother "LYSTER"

Father was given breeding privilages in the uk, owned by Nick Williams" in wales and mother was registered and owned by Kiestra, but STILL not able to get my mare registered as mother now dead!!! so no proof! Grrrrrr oh well I love her and thats all that matters.

Speedy x[/QUOTE]

Dont quote me on this, but im sure if you can find a mare who is the full sister to your dam, you can use her DNA for registration.

newrider.com