for all you hacking people!

Awesome, that's brill. I can't wait to get out hacking at Crimbo! I've been looking for the way to get out onto the Mendips and now I know, although I think I'll still manage to get lost!

buy one of the actual maps hun, and hight light your route for ease of use!

also you can go up foot paths but u have to dismount and lead!

No no no! I don't know who told you that, but they were very wrong.

Sorry, but in law, you do NOT have any right to use a footpath with a horse - whether it is led or ridden, unless you have the landowner's specific permission to do so.

Again, in law, a path which has the legal status of a footpath can be used freely by pedestrians and their 'natural accompaniments' to 'pass and re-pass'.
A 'natural accompaniment' has been defined in law as a dog, a pram or pushchair, or a wheelchair - although there is no obligation that the paths should be usable by any of the 'natural accompaniments'.

A horse is not classed as a 'natural accompaniment' for a pedestrian.

Neither is a bike, you will have noticed - and although many cyclists get off and wheel their bikes along public footpaths without anyone complaining, strictly speaking, a landowner can demand that someone wheeling their bike along a footpath pick it up and carry it without letting the wheels touch the ground. I suspect that IF you could pick up your horse and carry it, then that would satisfy the requirements of it being a natural accompaniment and you could then take it legally along a footpath!

If the status of a path is in dispute, though, then whatever its legal status, you may well be advised, by a Bridleway Association or similar, to continue using it - or attempting to use it. Also, if you have good reason to believe that a path has been wrongly classified, then you may continue to use it as long as you do so in good faith.

NB My posts in general apply to England and Wales. Scottish Right-of-Way law is very different to English and Welsh law. Ireland has almost NO rights of way for horses.

buy one of the actual maps hun, and hight light your route for ease of use!

But remember that the paper map will probably not be as up-to-date as the on-line OS map, and most definitely not as accurate or as up-to-date as the definitive map, which you will be able to check at your council offices, or perhaps (for some councils) on-line on the council's website. The on-line version of the definitive map will probably not be as comprehensive as the version in the council's offices, as things like modification orders, restriction orders, temporary closures and planning requests may not be included on-line.

Ah OK, thanks for the advice, that's a good idea going to the council offices. I always worry I'll be trespassing. A walker got cross at me once for riding somewhere that everyone seems to ride, but turns out it's private land, eek.

Liz1949 you are a complete star, where would we be without you, you are the Bridleway Guru!:)

hahaha!

I do believe very strongly that we riders do not have the best image among countryside users; we are too often (through ignorance or misinformation and very rarely, if ever, through malice) our own worst enemies - see the earlier post claiming that we can use public FPs if we lead our horses! - and gain enemies and opposition, instead of friends and influence, through nothing more than misunderstanding on both sides. We must do all we can to eliminate misunderstanding on OUR side and then, whiter than white, and taking our responsibilities seriously, we can begin to reclaim some of our ancient rights, and start to use the politically-powerful weapons which are available IF we play our hand of cards carefully.

Seriously though I will be very happy to help with suggestions for anyone who wants to take action over rights-of-way, BUT as you know so well yourself, you have to follow up and persist and pester over at least a couple of seasons before action will be taken by 'the authorities' (as they like to think of themselves ...).

Someone contacted me through my website re bridleways in their area, and I promised to get back to them, but I've been having problems with my server and email, so if whoever it was is reading this, PM me here and I will get back to you - promise!

Oh, and by the way, I feel that 'happy hackers' do themselves a disservice in the horsey community by using that name to describe themselves in a deprecatory way. Many competitive and competent riders in the 'ring' - be it dressage, show-jumping or showing - are TOO SCARED to hack out.

Nothing wrong with that - but please, hackers, don't think that you are somehow less skilled, competent or capable as horsemen or horsewomen because you do not compete within the safe confines of an enclosed arena!

For Kent people - search for 'Explore GIS Kent' on google and you get a map that you can zoom in on - shows all the bridleways, byways etc, restrictions and gates and stiles also shown - i printed it out and highlighted all the routes - laminated and keep it in my pocket (i still get lost mind but that may have something to do with me, or the fact that hacks are normally done at the speed of light)!

newrider.com