For anybody that does Riding horse classes

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
I've seen a few people say they do RH lately, so I thought I'd point this out. ;)

Riding horses are skinny things. Not quite as skinny as hacks, but finer than hunters. They wear bling browbands (often over the top) and their riders wear tweed or navy. They do not have faces like ladies and back ends of cooks. They are plaited and most definately are not seen with feathers.

Basically - if you wouldn't do a hunter class, you shouldn't do a riding horse class. The two are usually interchangeable at local level, although they are different types.

Riding club horse, and ridden horse, are totally different and open to anything that is bigger than a pony. :)

Sorry, just a bug bear of mine seeing people in completely wrong classes. :p

Hi i have just read yor post and it sounds like you know what you are on about.So i was wondering if you could help me. My 10 year old daughter has decided that she would like to have a go at beginners showing and equitation classes.
But apart from hunting and sj i aint got a clue.
Her pony is 13hh partbred (sec b).He is a pretty pony and moves not to bad.
What class should she be entering? He will jump as well it this is needed but i wouldnt want her doing more than 2ft.
What tack should the pony wear and also how should my daughter ber dressed?

Teehee I told someone I did Riding Horse so they were a bit surprised when they first saw big feathery Lucy. Riding CLUB Horse, of course ;).

Well said Daffy Dilly! Often confused too with local level 'Ridden Horse' classes - very different! (oops reread and you'd said that)

I do affiliated RH classes with an ex racer and unaffiliated ones with an Anglo Arab - both pictures on horsemaniacs recent showing post if people want an idea of what they look like - mine isn't a fantastic stamp as a bit light - has a hack body on RH legs!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some interesting misinterpretations of classes at local shows sometimes.. last year I saw the widest, hairyest cob I'd ever seen in a hack class :D And he was only in the the hack class not just a case of enter everything since its only a little show!

There are some interesting misinterpretations of classes at local shows sometimes.. last year I saw the widest, hairyest cob I'd ever seen in a hack class :D And he was only in the the hack class not just a case of enter everything since its only a little show!

:D:D

Yes but if you were just a happy hacker and knew nothing about showing it would seem to be the obvious one.

Perhaps local shows could help people along a bit.

I've said a few times on another forum that an extra page to the schedules wouldn't hurt. Brief description of each type and what they are expected to do in the class. Also brief information on turnout for different classes. Might help some of the judges too.

It would stop so many people being shown up and not understanding what they had done wrong.

Would also stop tack shops giving the wrong advice. I've often heard people being advise to buy navy jackets for showing or even black and other similar things.

Yes agree totally RTK. Another bugbear of mine is people saying "oh it doesn't matter it's only local level"

To me that's like saying "Oh I know my pony doesnt canter but I'll take it into a dressage test anyway- it's only prelim"

Showing is a sport that requires just as much work to compete at a good level as dressage/SJ/eventing yet because your results are down to one persons' opinion (which will NEVER please anyone) it is stereotyped as facey and "unfair".

Hi

Sorry to slightly hijack your thread but I'm a complete novice to all competitions. I've found a local show to go to soon but I'm now losing my confidence:eek:

I'm sure that my boy is not a hack. Am I right in thinking that he is not skinny enough to be a riding horse so should be entered as a hunter?

Please help!:)

Attachments

• Possible Hunter.jpg
    Possible Hunter.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
Another bugbear of mine is people saying "oh it doesn't matter it's only local level"

To me that's like saying "Oh I know my pony doesnt canter but I'll take it into a dressage test anyway- it's only prelim"

Showing is a sport that requires just as much work to compete at a good level as dressage/SJ/eventing yet because your results are down to one persons' opinion (which will NEVER please anyone) it is stereotyped as facey and "unfair".

I agree Jillybean. Shame too many local shows try to copy affiliated, there are not enough 'new to showing classes' where people can get advice. Also a pity more clubs dont run showing clinics, low level ones not those with top show producers. Wonder why dressage doesn't get as much bad press, thats one persons opinion too

Hi

Sorry to slightly hijack your thread but I'm a complete novice to all competitions. I've found a local show to go to soon but I'm now losing my confidence:eek:

I'm sure that my boy is not a hack. Am I right in thinking that he is not skinny enough to be a riding horse so should be entered as a hunter?

Please help!:)

Dont worry about it, you'll be fine, no-one would argue with your boy going in local hunter classes :D. Hunter types are mixed at local level, all in the same class but if you want to see the definitions of hunters at a higher level, here they are. Once again courtesy of The Show Ring site.

The Lightweight Hunter:
The lightweight classes at the major shows are usually the best filled and often contain some really high-class horses. The ideal type for this class are thoroughbreds or seven-eights bred and with a good height of 16.1hh-16.2hh with about 8 1/2 inches of bone.
The lightweight should be a good mover and be able to gallop and must have plenty of presence to stand out amongst the others in the ring. He should be well schooled and light in the hand. A true lightweight should be an ideal ride for ladies and lightweight men to ride, hunt or even event. The lightweight also often doubles as a ladies hunter which is ridden side saddle.
The Middleweight Hunter:
The ideal pattern for a middleweight is about 16.3hh and with about 8 3/4 to 9 inches of bone. He should ride bold and take hold of his bridle. The middleweights are usually the most sought after of all the show hunters as they are a good size and type for the hunting field. Many judges are satisfied by the middleweight hunter which can prove useful in hunter championships.
The Heavyweight Hunter:
The true heavyweight show hunter capable of carrying over 14 stone is a rare commodity today. The quality heavyweight show hunter is the monarch of the ring and the envy of everyone. His trot is not as spectacular as that of the lightweight or middleweight, but is still long and low with little or no knee action. The true heavyweight need not be more than 17hh but should have 9 or 10 inches of bone. Where the blood heavyweight comes into his own is in the gallop. Here he leaves his common brothers floundering behind him.
The heavyweight does need time to mature and is best not shown until he is six years old. Often people show their heavyweights too fat and unfit, which can lead to trouble.
The Small Hunter:
The true small hunter should be based on the miniature middleweight pattern but only up to 15.2hh in height. He should be short of leg with a good deep body and, to use an old term, a 'very butty type'. He should have a lot of character and presence about him to be good. Movement in a small hunter needs to be especially attractive as it is not unusual to have about twenty competing together at any one time.
There always seems to be controversy on small hunter heights, many people maintaining that they are over 15.2hh. A good sort of 15.2hh appears from the outside of the ring to be higher than it is, and so much depends on the animal's wither being high or low.
The Ladies Hunter:
Ladies Hunters can be entered by Small, Lightweight, Middleweight or Heavyweight Hunters. The ladies hunter must be well mannered, give a smooth ride and have just that touch of elegance to finish off the final look.
The horse is ridden in a side-saddle (by ladies only!) which most take to straight away. Various coloured habits are seen in the show ring but the majority are made of navy or black wool though tweed is sometimes also worn.
The Working Hunter:
At the larger shows the working hunters are divided into two sections: the lightweight (up to 13 stone 7lb) and heavyweight (over 13 stone 7lb). The definition of a show working hunter is a good-looking horse that jumps smoothly and quietly. He should be well schooled with correct conformation, athletic movement and a good, level temperament.
A good working hunter must be able to jump rustic fences of about 3ft 6" to 3ft 9" in the confinement of a ring but at a good hunting pace. Some horses do find this difficult so will need lots of practise at home.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that rtk. I think I will risk the ridden hunter class then - he does WTC nicely but I'm not sure what he'll do in the ring! I suppose at worst we can show our gallop:D

Thank you to everybody who is so generous with their showing knowledge. As a novice it is very hard to find out about showing - all my 'horsey mentors' tend to push towards dressage/eventing - so without you all I'd be completely stuck so thanks again:)

newrider.com