For those interested in Icelandics....

C

CER1389

Hi all
Was at the AGM today, for the Icelandic Horse Society GB.
One of the things that came up in the meeting was how to reach more people, and how to get more awareness for the breed.
Obviously we try and tackle shows and do demos, but we were thinking about general people who are interested in having hacks or the possibility of owning an Icey and not knowing where to turn too.

One of the things I was talking to a few people about, is the possibilty of the society having logins on websites such as NR, complete with logo and webaddress.
The idea being set members are in control of checking the login for any messages, and for "patrolling" the forums to answer all Icey posts. Effectivley giving a direct route of contact for anyone who wants any information, or trying to find out how to get in touch with to try an Icey etc.
Because the society is a registered charity, the login would post dates of shows, directions :)p) and generally raise more awareness of what Icelandics are doing.

Would this be something that members would be interested in?
~Basically a "qualified" person answering questions
~Direct contact with enquirys for treks or local representatives
~More awareness of when a show is etc

Secondly, mods, as the society is a charity, and effectively this is what I do anyway, would this be something you would allow?
I would keep my login, and a seperate login would be created that set members checked and posted with. It wouldn't be often, just when shows etc are on.
I know you don't allow advertising, but because it's charity registered, does this make a difference?

Thirdly, if anyone clever has any cheap ways we can raise awareness of the breed please do PM me or post on here ;):D

Hi all
Obviously we try and tackle shows and do demos, but we were thinking about general people who are interested in having hacks or the possibility of owning an Icey and not knowing where to turn too.

Thirdly, if anyone clever has any cheap ways we can raise awareness of the breed please do PM me or post on here ;):D

Persuade the Nobles to re-open Windy Gowl as a trekking centre!! It's missed up here....

I would definitely be interested in being able to learn more, I'm not in a position now to have a horse but I hope I am when I graduate and start to work again. Icelandics really interest me and I would love to learn more as they seem to be exactly what I would want in a horse. Please shout loud about any resources!

ETA message boards are free if you don't want anything fancy and don't need one that has to cope with a lot of traffic, websites are very cheap these days too.

My OH is a web designer, I am sure if you didn't want anything too snazzy he could knock something up for you. I will get him in a good mood and ask!

I am interested in learning about Icy's, I know little about most breeds of horses and I think it would benefit a lot of people to find out more about them, as, like Dogrose said, they could have exactly what someone wants in a horse, but just don't know they exist/much about them.

Well the society itself has a website www.ihsgb.co.uk but isn't updated that regularly, nor does it give a lot of information about the breed, more just stuff happening within the society.

So maybe it's worth telling them that it should be expanded, and made more user friendly for those wanting more info on the horses as a breed, as well as the society.

Right I will come back to this thread when I have more time. I'm definately interested in finding out more so I'll have a look at the info I can find and then explain where I think there are holes that can be improved upon :)

Meet and ride one :D Which i do believe you are going to do a week on Tuesday :D Well meet unless your feeling adventurous! or perhaps suicidle :rolleyes:

Ohhhh wish id come to the AGM curse it being so far away! :( From what you've told me CER1389 there were some interesting topic's of conversation!

Ohhh well (are you going to that thingy about those who want to go to the worlds next year)?

x

The last AGM I went to they nearly came to blows! :D :D ;)

It's nice to know they are looking forward now!

If the Jill Noble had half the experiences we had I don't think wild dogs would persuade her to re open the trekking side of the business. ;)

It can be hard to find people willing to let you ride and have lessons on them.I remember when i was first looking i had to try a few i was interested in buying then when i found the 1 i liked i was able to go and ride her a couple of times before buying her.Sadly i only had her for a month,she wasnt the right horse for me at the time :(

You might have someone in your area with a few who might be willing to let you have ago :)

Hello,

Don't post on here often but am interested in Icelandics. I went to Iceland last year and went riding, after a week I was a bit hooked and really wanted to learn more. When I got back to the UK I looked for somewhere I could go to ride an Icelandic - seems it's actually impossible. I think the main problem that you will have with regards to getting more people into this fabulous breed is that there is virtually no-where that they can ride them and unless people have experience riding one then surely they're not going to go out and buy one. I'm based in London, I've looked on the Icelandic Society GB website several times and about a year ago I emailed a couple of the contacts on there to no luck. I googled Icelandics in the UK and emailed Edda Hester in Somerset but no reply as it seems from thier website they were moving premises and not doing riding for the public during this time. I tried the stud near Edinburgh when I was in Scotland for the weekend but no luck there as they don't do riding lessons / hacks anymore.

The only place I have found was in Cumbria when I went on holiday to the Lakes about 6 weeks ago. Whent to Tim and Janice Hutchinsons place and had a ride with your mind lesson with Janice on the most beautifully schooled Icelandic mare. It was fabulous and I'm so upset that they're in Cumbria and I'm in London! Honestly I think I would get really into Icelandics if I lived close enough to a yard like that to ride at.

Also, another point, even if I was in the position to buy a horse in the future, as much as I like Icelandics I would only get one if I could get some experience riding them first and if I was close enough to an instructor or expert who knew about Iceys, for lessons - I think I'd need someone who knew about tolting!

I would love to come and watch some Icelandic shows, on the IHSGB website there is an "oval track near Gatwick" mentioned, however this is never expanded upon, there are no contact details and it seems almost mythical - I could get to the Gatwick area and would love to see some shows but information seems patchy to an outsider.

I seem to have blabbered on forever but as far as I see it yes it would be great to get people talking and answer questions about Icelandics but ultimately I think if people are interested what they will want is the chance to ride an Icelandic and as far as I can tell those oppotunities are few and far between.

Sorry for going on quite so much!!

:)

Last edited:
Hia :)

If your ever up my end of the woods you can come and have a ride.

The oval at Gatwick dosent have any competions as it's along a main road and in a back garden so there is no space for horses,lorry's etc...The shows in Verwood are great and alot of people turn up so its a chance to see some really good horses.If you go on the Icy website and look at whats coming next year theres quite alot going on :)

Hia,

Yeh im insured for everything.With my dad being a barrister nothing is missed!

Luckily my mare is one of those that dosent mind having lots of different people on her and will go out of her way to give them the best Icy riding experience they could have.The more people we can get into this wonderful breed the better.I wouldnt let anyone else on my youngster as he's a very much it you or nobody horse.And i think will always be like that.Sól knows when mummys riding and when its someone else and can be a complete pig with me but an angel for everyone else,tisnt fair! :D

That's a very kind ofer IcyRider, however I'm no where near Hampshire. It also kind o proves my point before. If someone wants to get into Icelandics and actually ride them it seems that you have to rely on the generosity of someone with an Icelandic like IcyRider to have a go. However this can't be a permenant thing can it? It can be a taster but that's all. Also as pointed out, the problem with relying on peoples generosity and letting them try an Icey is things like insurance and coping with differing riding abilities.

Yes Walrus that is true,however for those that are near me and want to have a taster its an oppertunity they may not have from others.People can be very fussy when it comes to letting unknown riders on there horses which i can understand.However it is a great shame that when somebody is thinking of having 1 but would like to ride 1 a few times nobody is able to offer that chance.My girly is brilliant with all types of riders and knows when someone can cope with whatever she gives them or if she needs to be very carefull.A girl who lives locally to me has got downsyndrom and can only walk but Sól is an utter angel for her and ive never seen her go as slowly as she does for Lucy.Hence why i have no worries about anyone coming and having a tolt up and down the tracks.All i do say is that they must have rider insurance.I dont often have people coming to ride them but when someone is keen i see no reason in saying no.I think that everyone has to start somewhere with these horses and be given the chance to ride them.After all ifit hadnt been for some very kind people when i was looking i may not have mine today.If you are a competant rider or a complete novice it makes no difference in my eyes.Everyone has to start somewhere :)

Although those novice riders i would only let in the school or on a lead rein out due to them being novices and needing abit of help to get going.

The website is actually updated very regularly as far as I am aware. Mic works hard at keeping stuff up to date!

Please don't take that as a personal insult to Mic at all, she does a fab job.

Perhaps I need to rephrase that there are no OBVIOUS updates made regularly, contact details are all up to date, as are horses for sale etc. But to someone who is not in the icelandic world then it can look like the website has no changes etc.

newrider.com