For those who wear glasses...

I wear contacts and rarely use my glasses, as I broke my nose when I was sixteen and thanks to my connective tissue disorder, it never really healed properly. Wearng glasses for long periods of time really aggrivates it and gives me a headache. I've never ridden in glasses, even before I broke my nose. The idea of them falling off and breaking terrified me!

i ride/do yard work in my glasses. i cant wear contacts due to astigmatism but i did see that they have brought out special contacts for peeps like me (with rugby ball shaped eyes :rolleyes: ) so may give them a whirl. i've fallen off a few times with my glasses on but never broken them.

I ride in glasses now. I used to always wear contact lenses but started having a lot of bother with them at the yard- I'm allergic to hay/straw/dust in general and having contacts in just made me worse. I've never had a problem riding in glasses, it would either be glasses for me or not ride at all as I'd be blind without them!

i ride in glasses all the time, have had hairy hacks = mud splattered glasses, need window wipers in the rain and on saturday fell of my newly acquired pretend arab/rodeo horse... never a problem for me!:D

To those with astigmatism, I have this too (in one eye) and whilst you can get away wth normal lenses, your vision wont be as good as the special astigmatism ones. I have one special and one normal and, pardon the pun, have never looked back. I'd seriously ask your opticians about them because contacts are *the* best thing ever :D and most places do free trials. The special lenses are not that much more expensive, I think about £2 more a month.

Tasha: you beat me to it! I too was going to recommend people that have stigmatisms to speak with their optometrists. I just found out from mine (sometime last year) that there are contact lenses available now for us.

I haven't had the chance to persue this yet.

CrisO said:
laser treatment
Different person to who you asked but I had my eyes lasered in december at Optimax at Finchley road. Best thing I've done. They're a national company depending on where you are based. They also do an ebay deal which is really cheap and promise to price match any quote you get.
Likewise, I too went to Optimax and also got mine off ebay. Seems ridiculous but they are a national company that were featured on one of the money programmes during the daytime tv. They basically ebay off any spare appointments rather than have staff/equipment sat doing nothing.

Cost me £795 all in. Well worth it.

i cant get mine done for a while as your eyes are supposed to have remained at the same prescription for 2 years. mine keep changeing

I'm scared that they'd stuff it up and make me blind! :eek:

Grace :p

i wear my glasses when ride i rather not butif dont wont be able see well . glasses not been to much problem when ridding for me

Lauren

I've always ridden with my glasses on (well, I only had to start wearing glasses about 3 years ago.. I'm mildly short sighted). I've fallen off 3 times since. Once was a really bad fall, and the only thing that happened to my glasses were that they got a bit bent out of shape, but nothing I couldn't fix. I have tried multiple times to get contacts in but my eyes are just sooo super sensitive.

Last edited:
For the first time in over 20 years around horses I almost had my glasses knocked off last night :eek:
Not by falling off, or even riding.........
I was feeding a rather boisterous horse and he shaved his nose in my face :rolleyes:

newrider.com