For those with older horses/thoroughbred, finer types

chickitta

Sep 6, 2008
Berkshire...
Now the weather is soooo nice, fingers crossed it lasts, are you letting yours out naked at night ?? I can't quite bring myself to let G out naked yet but toying with the idea tonight....What are you all doing?? :confused:

As Forest was fully clipped during winter and hasn't yet finished moulting hes having a medium weight on at night with a fleece underneath.

During the day he has a fly rug on.
I'm going to start reducing his rugs though and see how he goes in just a middleweight turnout.

Hes livng out 24/7 aswell. :)

Obviously depending where you are....but I'm in London and was up all night hanging out of the window for a break and I can tell you it's bloody chilly! Was very bad about 3:30 but a bit warmer at 5:45....So I'd probably keep something on them at the min, especially the finer ones :)

I'm in the south east.. beautiful in the day 20odd degrees, but yes, it does still get chilly at night. Think i'll leave the rug on a bit longer....:rolleyes: Thanks guys... always depend on nr for their good opinions.. :D

Nope, my 2 TB girls have lightweights on in the day and at night, they are living out 24/7 and have been all winter.

Yep - all out overnight, as long as its not wet. I try to catch them in at night for tea and a LW on but recently have been more keen on the lovely grass so have been out unrugged over night.

Stan has been out 24/7 since mid February - he's still wearing a MW at night now though here as it gets cold here (dropped down to 5degrees last night) .. as soon as the temp stays over about 9 or 10 degrees overnight he'll go naked..

My two have been out 24/7 without rugs for weeks now! 20yr old TB had hers removed a couple of weeks ago and my arab has been naked for near on 8 weeks now. :)

I took rugs off when horses were warm enough early morning and losing winter coat rather than what the temperature reads.

Must say its funny how now people (me included) are classing 5 degrees as chilly now but a few months back it would have been 'rather pleasant' if the temperature reached 5 degrees!!! :p

newrider.com