Fore Girths?

KathyT

Jul 13, 2001
Hampshire
Visit site
There was a small article in Horse and Hound this week where a German trainer and vet was critisising the way young dressage horses were trained. He was critising how horses were made to carry their heads in early training and also the use of draw reins and "fore girths" which Horse and Hound described as being used to push the saddle further back! What is the idea in that! Can someone explain what these things are and what the idea is? Sounds perfecly ghastly to me!

I have seen what I call "for girths" used in the Icelandic horse world. It is an uncomfy looking contraption which goes around infront and on the pommel of the saddle with a bit if a stiff bit in the middle, almost like a tree, then around like a normal girth.

Is this anything like the ones they are refering to?

The article was about the training of dressage horses, if you have this weeks Horse & Hound it is a small article with a title along the line of "Shock Horror" aparently this German trainer started his lecture with words along the lines of "we train dressage horses as if we wanted to eat them!" I will try to post the whole of the article tomorro (is that allowed, or is it against copy write?)

Here is the article in full. I think you will agree that it makes sense, but what is a FORE GIRTH?

Dr Gerhard Heuschmann, a qualified professional rider (Bereiter) and vet from German, startled delegates when he said: “The way we train young horses is as if we want to eat them.”
He argued that there is not enough emphasis in the German educational system (and Britain’s) on the art of training young horses – many quality without much understanding of this area.
Dr Heuschmann argued that the first two years of training were the most important – changing the young horse from a flight animal to one with the body and mind to carry weight without developing problems.
“There has been a big increase in back problems and it is vital that horses stretch their necks forward and down, both when eating and being ridden, to bring up the back and develop the muscles,” he said.
He argued that the age of the horse, its muscular development and the weight of the rider should determine where to put the head and neck. Lifting it to compete – especially in three-year-old classes – leads to fixed backs, flicking extensions and damaged coffin joints.
Shortened necks, draw reins and FORE GIRTHS (which push the saddle further back) were the chief culprits.
In addition, improvements in stable management are desirable. Young horses must move around to ensure the formation of healthy cartilage around the joints, yet today’s horses are cosseted in stables. One improvement would be to ensure they always have a good walk before training begins.
Young horses should not be limited to a life on soft surfaces, as the anatomy of the horse’s foot is not designed to work to its best on this type of going, he concluded.

Yep, they sound like the same sort of thing. Icelandics tend to get their saddle slipping forwards and a lot use cruppers, but I don't suppose at high levels the horse goes well with a huge pressure on his tail permanently.

I don't like fore girths, they intefere with the fit of the saddle, but I don't ride at such high levels as the difference between a crupper and a fore girth would be noticed!:D

I don't know why they want the saddle so far back with a young dressage horse. Sitting well back with Icelandics can help Tölt, but only so far, hinder his back end and you get nowhere.

KathyT

I didn't get Horse and Hound so your description of the article is welcome.

Sounds like the writer is into horses in a way which I admire - he sounds as if he is really concerned about their development/evolution in our "domesticated" world. SO, if my interpretation of your summary is anywhere near right then I applaud him.

Sandra

I have seen one of these,but I know it as a "stop girth". In fact when I first got my Anglo/Arab mare,she was using one. It was being used because she has low wither, and it is to stop the saddle slipping forward. I stopped using it after a short time, as I did not like it. No I just use a front-riser pad to raise the saddle a bit at the front, and it seems to work just as well

Thanks for the explanation! It is good to hear of someone (other than Heather!) trying to make horses lives easier and to challenge the accepted methods of training. It did seem strange though that the article was a small one in amongst a larger article about Jerez when the judges were quoted as not marking down for a bad seat etc because if the horse managed the movements it did not matter about the rider!

Fore Girths

Kathy I've heard of these girths but didn't know what they were or what they did. Now I know I'm disgusted. They are another torture instrument used by untalented riders to get the results they want so they can make a fast buck. It is wrong to use such methods of training which make the rider sit so far back that it is in all probability sitting on the weakest part of the horese's back - ie - its loins. I was absolutely horrified when I read the article. There is nothing but abuse heaped on horses in competitions now that the prize money has risen to an acceptable level. such people who pursue such methods of riding and training are nothing but scum!!!

i have also seen these fore girths but only in the icelandic world. They use them instead of cruppers to stop the saddle going forwards. But you dont see them all too often.

newrider.com