forgot my half chaps but rode even better than usual!!

laura jeanne

Jan 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
How could this be? My legs stayed more still than usual. I thought it was going to be a disaster but it actually felt better except for towards the end of the lesson when one of the stirrup leathers started to pinch my leg.

We also practiced a figure 8 at the canter with trotting in between the circles to change the lead. We all (me, OH, and other girl) did a good job and the instructor was surprised. One of my circles was pretty weird and so was one of the other girl's but we all did the exercise and I think we surprised ourselves too.

They are suede with most of the suede stuff worn off on the calves tho. Maybe they are too tight? I always have trouble keeping my right heel down but did better with that on that day. Had trouble finding a pair that was short enough yet still fit around my calf. (the usual problem that keeps coming up)!! They don't have an elastic inset so I might look for a pair like that. That will prove to OH once and for all that I can always find a way to spend more money.

Hmm, I always have ridden without chaps, to great surprise of my stable-mates, whi all just sighed behind me, like - oh, how it is only possible to ride without chaps and breeches with knee patches :D But honestly - no discomfort at all! I feel the horse better, and besides - if you learn to ride without all these small tricks, then you learn it really, because you can ride, and not because there is something holding you to the saddle or horse.
Recently I rode with my new long leather riding boots, and decided to leave those only for shows and competing... too much in between!

i dont have halfchaps or long riding boots at all :rolleyes: i find that i feel the most secure in my wellies or an old pair of dr martens boots :) i have short riding boots but whenever its wet i find i slide around in the stirrups with them :rolleyes:

julia
x

I never used to ride with half chaps, but then my first lesson wearing them was great. I have been wearing them everytime i ride, except today i didnt wear them and i had a great ride... Its like whichever i am not used to helps me do best.

Maybe its something about change...Like you have to concentrate more(???)

Or maybe im just weird!

i used to not wear chaps. now i do. but they don't seem to make any difference in my riding. i just wear them now cause it's cold and then i can wear my sweat pants that are kind of baggy at the bottom. it could just be a mental thing like Shizzity said. but then again it could make a difference for different people. (ps I love Dr. Martens!!!!ahhhh, dr. martens hum-diddly-umm...:D )

I love DR. Martens too. I always bought them for my kids, but never for myself. Always seemed like too much money for spending on myself and plus I felt silly bec I don't really have any place to wear them.

silmarien - Dr. Martens are a great type of boot/shoe. they are incredibly confortable, but they're not made for riding, but they would probably be good to ride in, i've never rode in mine.

laura jeanne - i got a new pair of DM boots for 40 dollars (canadian none the less) :p sorry i'll stop gloating about my 40 dollar DMs :D :D you're right though, they are very expensive, mine were on sale at a outlet store thing.

Doc Martins expensive? Wow! Over here, England they are dirt cheap!

I got my 8 eyelet black pair for £20 and my hot pink pair for £25, my 22 eyelet pair were about £90 :D

Yes...well...poop to you then Eisteee :D in canada they are really expensive. as well as almost everywhere else. hehehe lucky englandians. well, maybe i should come over there when i need a new pair. wanna send me some ;) mmmm...doc martins.....

newrider.com