Found a horse! And how long to wait for horse to settle in???

G

Guest 2

Viewed a lovely horse this morning. I am not going to write too much as I don't want to jinx myself or the horse.

Anyway he will be arriving this week, how long did you guys leave your horse for before starting the ridden work?
We will probably leave him for around 2 weeks, and just groom and bond!

I will do a nice big post when he arrives :D:D:D:D

ummmm well actually degan was so settled that we rode him in the dark the evening he came. he did have the morning to settle in :rolleyes:

Excellent ! I am really please for you !!

People vary in how long they take to settle a horse. I'm usually one of the more extremes - I leave the horse to settle for a long time compared to others ... but even to me two weeks sounds like a lot ! Personally, I play it by ear, listening to the horse, more than what people who owned him tell me he'll be like. Sure, he's got to settle in and feel comfortable with his new surroundings, but that includes you, and working with you. I start groundwork with the horse usually the next day (well, if they've been cool enough to go out with the herd right away, I leave them alone for a day with the others).... but it will depend on how much groundwork you are confident to do - because it can be an excellent tool in assessing the horse's focus and his stae of mind, and for establishing yourself as the the cool calm leader... but it's not something you want to be learning when he's new !

Why not try watching how he is with the grooming and everyday tasks, and then perhaps a short ride in a safe area, with a steady old horse companion, and a walker on the ground for a 'just in case' (and to operate the camera ;) )

Thanks! I am sooo excited :)
Yes we shall see how it goes, I will get you some pictures of my gorgeous boy when he arrives!

Yes groundwork sounds good, I could just lead him around our yard and get him used to the new scenery.

Can't wait to share him with you all :D

Can't be bothered to open another thread so does any one know what the average girth size is for a normal horse of 15.2hh
Sorry haven't got a pictures but he was very similar to Xena (my old horse).
xena2.jpg

What girth size would you recommend. We tried a 44" which was too small, so i am thinking that the new horse would need about 48" maybe 50"
Will measure him up if you don't know. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks :) thats what I was thinking as well. I will probably play it safe though and wait until he actually arrives before ordering anything .... you know what I am like :rolleyes:

Well if you aren't planning on riding him for 2 weeks, wait for him to arrive and measure his tummy.

I think 2 weeks is a little excessive to let him settle in, I normally ride the day after they arrive.

We rode our horse the day after she arrived as she was quite quiet and relaxed. I think it depends on the horse but 2 weeks is a long time not to be ridden. You might find you have an excitable/ lively horse on your hands if you leave it that long without some kind of work.:eek:
Good luck with your new horse:)

i would ride the day after unless he is majorly unsettled... but if you go to a show you ride straightaway so i dont really see the difference... except you dont really know him

at away shows people ride straight away as they have classes to do lol

We rode our horse the day after she arrived as she was quite quiet and relaxed. I think it depends on the horse but 2 weeks is a long time not to be ridden. You might find you have an excitable/ lively horse on your hands if you leave it that long without some kind of work.:eek:
Good luck with your new horse:)

yes. I agree with this, especially if he has been in regular work previously

Thanks for your advice. Yes I totally agree, I was only advised the "two week margin" by a friend, however he is in regular work and is very fit so I think he would probably go bonkers if he was left for 2 weeks.

So I will see how it goes :)

Girth size will dpend upon the saddle design, it might have long flaps and girth straps, even long short ones....if you see what I mean!

I never leave any new ones that long, even after the boat trip, they get a day off then they start work.

Our newest pony we left him 1 day and left it a week before we took him out anywhere.

Ive just taken my new boy home this morning. I spent the day with him, grooming and bonding. I also led him round the school a few times using voice commands and also led him round the yard a bit. He was fine - a bit spooky and prancy to start:D If he's ok in the morning I plan on going for a quiet hack with a friend:)

new horse

When i got my present horse we left him for 3 days before i started riding him but i left him 2 weeks before letting him in with other horses. Let him meet his new friends over the fence first!:)

I rode mine down to her new home, chucked her out and rode her the next day on a nice long hack. Pretty much got her straight into it. Think as everyone else has said depends on the horse and how they settle. If he seems pretty settled and is fit and ready to go then wouldn't leave it two weeks.

newrider.com