founderguard???????

Skye be careful. It must be recommended by your vet as founderguard is illegal in Britian. He must have a special licence for you. Otherwise I have read that it is very good.

It is, as far as I know, only illegal still in Britian as it is undergoing testing there, the vets at this stage recommend it for this reason.

In Australia it is legally and freely available. From personal experience it is a good product for helping to prevent further founder/laminitis episodes from reoccuring. Founderguard is a preventative only so will not solve your immediate problem of founder. It will be of no use to you for the arthritis etc that your horse is suffering.

If your horse is on box rest and suffering from her other problems, look up the Arthritis section we posted a month or two ago. In short, apple cider vinegar and or MSM added into feed are both good natural products that help ease the pain of arthritis.

Goodluck...Aly

There is a Cushing's pony on our yard on it. It had to be imported from Australia and with all the special license problems it took 6 weeks to get it. He is doing very well on it and is managing to go out in the field for a few hours a day without starting up the laminitis whereas before he would go down with it at the first whiff of grass.

thanks guys,
i appreciate it won't help his arthritis or COPD both these problems improve with turnout .He is no longer on total box rest.He is on 2 hrs turnout wearing a bucket muzzle in the morning(he can't eat wearing this) and has an 1hrs turnout in the afternoon to graze.At the moment he seems to be doing well and is not showing any laminitis symptons fingers crossed he stays that way! he is on a tiny dose of bute and is sound on roads etc and is currently getting walked for 45 mins a day which has helped the arthritis.I was just wondering if founderguard would of allowed him to have some more turnout,might be worth a try.Thanks for all your help!

Founderguard is highly recommended by both the vets at the livery yard and the vets at the racing yard where I work. My friend has just put her pony on it after their advice. Apparently it is excellent. It is a form of antibiotic that destroys certain bacteria in the gut which are responsible for creating toxins when grass is digested, or that's how I understand it anyway. If it's illegal, then I'm a criminal because I just walked into the vets and bought it over the counter after their recommendation!!

It is best for horses that aren't currently suffering from laminitis, but are prone to it.

I have a pony on Founderguard. Mickeys laminitis was thought to have been caused by concussion due to removing his shoes this winter becuase once his sympoms had disappeared he was turned out on grass and was fine. Once the spring grass came through however, his digital pulse returned.
The vet applied for a licence for Founderguard and three weeks later he started the course.
I would point out that it has only really been proven on grain induced Laminitis but my vet says that he doesn't know of any horses on Foundergaurd that have suffered another attack. Obviously you still have to manage your feed and grass intake carefully, this goes without saying.
Mickey, touch wood, has been fine ever since. I don't know if this is due to the Founderguard but i definatly would not take him off it, just in case.
I also bought a Greenguard grazing muzzle for him. He can be turned out for 8 hours a day with this due to him only being able to eat 1/3rd of his normal intake. Without it he could only be turned out for a maximum of 2 hours before his digital pulse increased. This muzzle is great and i would recommend it to anybody. It took him about three days to get used to it and i thought ( and so did he i think) that he would never be able to eat with it, but he can and now he doesn't even realise he's wearing it. If you do buy one, stick with it.. it is more than worth it weight in gold. Mickey now has a normal life whereas without it he could only go out with his friends for 2 hours. It is more expensive, but so much better than the bucket muzzles and very humane. I definitely would not be without one.
Laminitis definatly is something that can be managed very easily once you know how and your pony can have a very normal and happy life. I know.

newrider.com