Free jumps vs tech stirrups

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
I'm looking for feedback on both these types of stirrups please, my daughter is wanting some for her birthday so would love to hear pros and cons. Thanks x

My riding instructor doesn't like them if any help. She has stopped children using in her lessons as some appeared to have more falls, they lost the stirrup as it's so light.

I like testing products but she said she wouldn't teach me in them.
I would like to hear positive views.

Reactions: tikkitti
My riding instructor doesn't like them if any help. She has stopped children using in her lessons as some appeared to have more falls, they lost the stirrup as it's so light.

I like testing products but she said she wouldn't teach me in them.
I would like to hear positive views.
Is that both types or the free jumps? x

That confirmed my fears about them as I felt theyd maybes be too light and cause issues. x

I've got both, well did have, sold the techs, always ride in my free jumps, I love them. They definitely help keep you from losing your stirrups, your heels down, my foot doesn't move etc. Obviously if you've got a crap leg they won't magic you into having a really secure leg, I wish they did! But they do help. I can't ride in normal thin stirrups now. Also my knees never ache after I ride in them but they often did in normal stirrups. Free jumps aren't light :confused: they're heavier than my stainless ones and composite cheese grater ones.

A few people have had problems with free jump lites, most of these kids have been about my size and really should be in the adult pro's you need to think about the size of boots not just the weight. Just because they are a child doesn't mean they are child size. I can easily fit in the lites weight wise but they're wouldn't be enough room either side of my boots. I think the lites are for 12 and under really or petite older kids. I've fallen off in mine loads of times :oops: and my foot has always easily come out of them. Obviously if you want to guarantee the foot not getting stuck then basket cages would be the only option.

I had techs after my free jumps and they never felt as good. They're both expensive and yes it probably is too much money for stirrups but mine were a present and I really like them. Since I've had them 3 people on my yard have tried them and after all brought a pair as they also felt the difference. I never run them up though as they scratch your saddle, you can get stirrup socks for them, I just leave mine loose.

Reactions: tikkitti
@Lissie am I right in thinking you need the special leathers for free jumps but use normal ones on tech stirrups? My daughters a size 3 shoe and in age 11-12 clothes however is 13, unsure what size to go for. Is is just the lite versions that are light? x

No you don't need the free jump leathers, I use normal leathers and they're fine, they don't make any difference except meant to be more close contact. You can use normal with techs too, I didn't rate the techs after having free jumps personally but know others that like them.

The lights have weight limit, think it's around 50kg, they are also a lot narrower and the tread isn't as grippy, they don't have the metal pins on the treads either. She'd probably be ok in the lites, can you go to saddlery that stock them and compare?

always ride in my free jumps, I love them. They definitely help keep you from losing your stirrups, your heels down, my foot doesn't move etc. Obviously if you've got a crap leg they won't magic you into having a really secure leg, I wish they did! But they do help. I can't ride in normal thin stirrups now. Also my knees never ache after I ride in them but they often did in normal stirrups. Free jumps aren't light :confused: they're heavier than my stainless ones and composite cheese grater ones.

This. I LOVE mine. I have a metal plate in my right hip and another smaller plate in my left leg lower down and it can sometimes affect my position and I used to lose my stirrups a lot. Freejumps have been a godsend. My foot is SO secure in it's position yet comes out easily if need be. I love them and like Lissie, my knees don't ever ache. I feel secure yet springy in them, they were worth every penny. I love them. Consequently my daugter has some mini ones that she uses too and it's improved her foot position also.

Obviously if you want to guarantee the foot not getting stuck then basket cages would be the only option.

Yes agree, this applies to all stirrups. I've seen kids get dragged countless times in peacock stirrups and saw a girl get dragged in the bent leg ones too. Admittedly I prefer bent leg to peacocks but I'd always choose Freejumps over anything else.

you can get stirrup socks for them

I put stirrup socks on mine and then just put them over the top of the saddle.

Just been reading through the comments above and thought the Free Jumps sound great. Better at keeping your foot in the stirrups and your heel down? Just what I need.

But at £214.00!!!!!!!! I don't think so :(

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Just been reading through the comments above and thought the Free Jumps sound great. Better at keeping your foot in the stirrups and your heel down? Just what I need.

But at £214.00!!!!!!!! I don't think so :(
I don't mind a price tag if I can justify it.
When a horse I took to camp started bucking someone lent me their stirrups. It didn't stop the horse bucking but my position was more secure. The RI asked what had changed during lunch! I still use those stirrups and they retail at £60. They also help my back.

I agree that price doesn't matter if you can justify it.......but you also have to be able to afford it!
Off to check EBay to see if I can find a bargain.

Reactions: newforest
I've never heard of them fading although you may have a point there. My daughter's are like a light blue and they've not faded yet. I just love red ones. I've seen some on Ebay for £150 in orange too and they're lovely. I'm a bit of a nightmare as I like pretty things in different colours - headcollars, saddlecloths etc and Freejumps are my new fixation. Thankfully I have a husband who is strict and tells me no haha

@SeeingSpots a 9 year old should be fine in the lites, it's the 12 year old plus who are like mini adults I've seen having problems with them. I agree they are very expensive, mine were a present and I love them! I've got brown as they go with my tack and I can wear them whatever colour he's got on. I do like the blue though! I really like the red but Char never wear red so they'd clash lol.

If you do BD you can only wear the black ones!

The "children's" ones retail at £150.00. Apparently there is no weight limit now and they say the width is suitable for up to size 6 footwear.
Have I read that correctly? If so then I could easily manage with the smaller ones.
It was on EBay that I read the above last night so may be a lot of twaddle.........

newrider.com